1st time on Poling - question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vetdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi, all-

The hubby and I are diving the Poling with CAD this weekend - it will be our first non-shore dive since we moved here, and we are beyond excited! Question - I read on an older post that it can be a bit dark - do you guys typically take a light for this dive? Advice or special features to look out for? Thanks.

Yeah, it can be dark. Sometimes really dark depending on the vis, but I've also seen it nicely lit. In any case, you DEFINATELY want to bring a light. Even if conditions are ideal, the light will let you look into the numerous openings on the wreck.

I'm not sure where you moved from, but if it was a warm-water location be sure you bear in mind that thick wet suits have a big bouyancy swing between the surface and that depth. Add bursts of gas to your BC as you decend, or you'll drop like a stone. Let it out gradually as you ascend again, or you'll shoot up like a missile.

Have fun, it's a great dive!

Thanks, Matt - no worries, I'm going dry...cannot hack the water temps around here...tried wet a few weekends back, and had to call the dive after 30 min, as I couldn't feel several major body parts (yeah, I'm a little on the scrawny side for cold water temps). I've been diving for 13 years but am relatively new to drysuit diving (this will be my first boat dive in a drysuit, in fact), so believe me - I have been obsessing about the bouyancy thing for weeks, in and out of the water...I am probably more nervous than is justified! I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Will stick some lamps in the bag tonight.

vetdiver:
Hi, all-

The hubby and I are diving the Poling with CAD this weekend - it will be our first non-shore dive since we moved here, and we are beyond excited! Question - I read on an older post that it can be a bit dark - do you guys typically take a light for this dive? Advice or special features to look out for? Thanks.

Vis and ambient light on the CP can vary from excellent to abysmal ... carry a light.

Currents can be non-existant or very stiff as well as in any direction ... remain aware

Unless you deploy a guideline, under no circumstances should you leave the wreck. She can 'disappear' very easily. For that reason I'd suggest you stay "on the deck" for the first dive ... there is plenty to see.

vetdiver:
Hi, all-

Have a fun dive. I like to swim along the catwalk to the broken end and then come back - I think that's a fun way to have an easy dive on her. Fight the temptation to go inside and remember you'll probably be a little narced.

What are you doing for a second dive?

vetdiver:
Hi, all-

I often bring a light but seldom use it unless I want to look into the holes. Sometimes the vis and ambient light is excellent. The worst vis I have experienced on the Poling was 3-4' but that is extremely unusual. I have been on the Poling about 50 times day and night. For your first dive I too would suggest you stay on the top of the deck. Keep an eye out for fishing net and monofilament. Every now and again on this or any wreck sweep your eyes around and up to make sure you will not swim into anything.

--Matt

Wow, thanks for all the replies - we'll probably take it pretty easy for our first dive on her. I am not much into wreck penetration, though I have some overhead certs and experience (caves) from years ago...wrecks freak me out a bit, as there is so much more you can get snagged on. The husband tends to be pretty conservative when he is doing his first few dives on a new site, as well. Imagine we'll follow your (collective) advice and stick to the top of the deck/catwalk, keeping your words about current in mind. Batteries have been put into the chargers now for lights.

We requested "captain's choice" for the second dive - they have us listed as going to the USSNH right now. Advice about that is welcome, as well - sounds like that is pretty shallow, so we should be able to get in some decent bottom time with a reasonable SI.

Thanks again, guys!

Is shallow for sure but can be interesting. It's more wreckage (and not much of that) than a wreck but if you poke around you'll perhaps find something to pique your interest.

I've found this web page useful -- it has a picture of the Poling (pre-sinking), as well as a basic schematic of what you will encounter on the bottom (click on the drawing at the bottom of the page).

http://www.geocities.com/yosemite/7205/dive_poling.html

One piece of advice -- note carefully the location of the mooring line when you get down on the wreck. There are usually moorings on both ends of the wreck. I've seen people come up the wrong line more than once...not a big deal on a calm day.....

I'll echo the "stay on the deck" advice, especially if vis is poor. You will have more than enough time within NDLs to circle the wreck, with time to pasue and look around.

Enjoy and dive safe.

-Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom