1st tank purchase (help!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SPEEDSTER

Reaction score
So, I've always rented or borrowed tanks, never owned any. Decided to start my collection now. (Xmas and all) I currently dive wet, and will be for the foreseeable future. ($$) Have been diving al 80's with apeks din regs with the adapter for yoke. Just got the new regs in din b/c I knew I was going to be getting tanks of my own soon. I have been considering staying with a catalina 80/din and using it for a deco bottle later (kinda big) or as back gas if I'm not dry when I go to doubles. Or should I get a pst 104? I know, no steel while wet, but in a singles rig, I would still have ditchable weight, plus I would have half of my rig when I go to doubles. (assuming I'm dry by then:rolleyes: ) The final thing I was considering, is getting the manifold now and just using half of it for the singles until I double them up (plugging the manifold section of course). Less cost down the road. Gee, I hope this all makes sense, I get confused just thinking about it. Thanks for any help.

mike

Having done about 40 dives on a -10lb steel 95cf in a 7mm wetsuit, and a couple of dives using double steels in the same suit, I reckon the "no steels when diving wet" only holds true with the doubles. With the single tank, I still have 10lb ditchable weight, and with doubles, none (which is why I've just gone to the drysuit). A single PST 104 would be a sweet singles tank - as long as your buddy(s) have similar sized tanks.

Dunno about the advisability of buying doubles separately, but if you do buy one now along with a manifold, you might consider getting an H-valve.

Or not.

:)

After a lot of research, and sugestions from members of the board. (if you do a search it's still all here somewhere)

I bought 2 PST LP104's, 2 300 bar DIN valves (Dive-Rite), one right, one left,and the isolation manifold. Also plugs. All are oxygen cleaned. I use them as singles now. when I'm ready to double them I'll just need the bands.

It is my understanding that steel singles is okay with a wetsuit. It's with doubles that you may get to heavy to swim the rig up in the event of a failed air cell.

at this thread too. I posted much the same question last week. The responses were: Use the equipment you need for the dive you are doing. Basically, don't buy a single tank looking to add making it a doubles setup which makes some sense.

The one thing I'm still having trouble with as well is the steel vs aluminum concern. Looking at both OMS and PST tanks, I like the PST specs better. And am still very seriously considering a HP100 or 120 for a primary tank. The major drawback is the cost. I can get two AL80's for the price of one HP.

Your statement of not diving steel wet is something I don't understand unless your diving double LP tanks. The extra weight would definitely be a concern. However the HP tanks are actually lighter and smaller than a similar sized AL tank.

I considered HP tanks because of the weight.

The only reason I went with LP is

I was told that if I planned on getting into technical diving with mixed gases LP tanks would serve me better. It has to do with the pressure in the tanks that gases like oxygen and helium come in. Filling is easier and more cost effective (less waste) with LP tanks.

There are many here that can explain it better than I.

My advice (given before as mentioned above) is to get the PST LP 104 if you are planning tech diving with mix gas, doubles and drysuit in the future.

If you are only able to get one PST LP 104 then just get a 300bar DIN K valve. Later when you get your other 104 you can also buy a 300bar manifold and then use the K valve on your deco tank (if you are going to tech dive you will need at least one 40cf AL deco tank.)

If you are able to buy two 104s plus the manifold then do as Tavi... but save some $$ and buy the SeaElite Manifold.

If you are not going to get into tech diving or plan to dive with double AL80s wet then go ahead and get the AL80s.

or

If you going to be recreational diving dry but not with doubles and mixed gas then go ahead and get the HP steels.

Personally? I prefer the 104 steels for more than just the ease of filling... I like the length and balance the give me.

Thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate it. I'm going to go with a lp 104 without the manifold. Pug's right, I will need an extra din valve for the deco bottle later anyways. Oh, and by the way, I had looked thru all threads on tanks, valves, and such, there's just so many that I got lazy and asked again. Thanks for going through it again with me!

One last thing, metridium mentioned that getting tanks seperately, then doubling them later may not be advisable. Anything to consider there?

-mike

SPEEDSTER wrote...
One last thing, metridium mentioned that getting tanks seperately, then doubling them later may not be advisable. Anything to consider there?
I've heard on a couple of occasions that it's better to buy tanks for doubles together, in order to assure that their dimensions are identical. Supposedly, there is some variation over time in manufacturing processes for some tanks.

I viewed this with some skepticism, but never followed up on it, as I had already purchased my 104s before then.

Anyone?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom