1st stage of regulator failed in close position - new diver freaking out a bit :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, can someone tell me why this post seems to have been completely ignored?

Is it not possible that the description there of the ACD failing closed is what happened to the OP? Inquiring minds that have been reading this thread (and not seen an answer to this) want to know.

probably because the reg hasn't been confirmed to be an ACD regulator and I'd argue that most of the people responding in this thread don't have a reg with the ACD feature on it and certainly with negligible experience rebuilding them to figure out how and why it may have failed. If the reg is confirmed to be an ACD regulator, then it warrants more discussion, but without that confirmation it is a potential failure but unique to one very specific regulator

He did say it was an AquaLung. Some AL regs does have ACD, right? So, there is a reasonable chance that it did have ACD?

If so, it seems somewhat suspect for all the posts that offer speculation and don't include that possibility. Of course, I suppose it's all speculation and we'll never know for sure. But, given the other info about the dive op acting as if they weren't surprised and immediately telling him it was the reg, it sure makes me wonder if it wasn't an ACD reg and that's how the dive op people seemed to know right away that it was the reg. Then again, I suppose it COULD be conspiracy on the part of the dive op staff to blame the reg in order to deflect blame from them for actually having a tank with trash in it that clogged the dip tube or a defective valve that didn't open all the way.

Because such a failure can not be caused by the ACT in the middle of a dive.

So, the info the OP quoted from another thread was bogus?

So, the info the OP quoted from another thread was bogus?
No, it was not bogus. Perhaps you should read the other thread and examine the ACD design and see if you can figure out how an ACD could cause such a failure.

Faulty valve. Was this a j valve, original or modified? Debris or flaking in a tank can produce the symptoms described.

For what it's worth and because I can't breath underwater and us humans are highly susceptible to making errors, my tank valves all have vindicator knobs. I've read too many stories of DM's turning people's valves or divers themselves not opening the valve. Hell, I saw it happen this year. Diver splashed right in, turned around and asked me to turn his tank on. o_O I like given ole' Murphy and unfair disadvantage.

As far as rental tanks... I guess you just have to hope ops are taking care of their ****.

So to shift a little bit, but it was mentioned by the OP, what's the rule for flying with pony bottles? Valve completely off? Tank empty? Maybe drained to 100 psi and stuffed in my checked baggage? :D

My pony bottle is a rental, AL80 tank, carried by my dive buddy. I'll be on my buddy's tail while underwater.

So to shift a little bit, but it was mentioned by the OP, what's the rule for flying with pony bottles? Valve completely off? Tank empty? Maybe drained to 100 psi and stuffed in my checked baggage? :D

DOT regulations are empty, valve off the tank

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom