1st stage of regulator failed in close position - new diver freaking out a bit :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[
A slightly open (less than a quarter turn) valve WILL NOT be detected by the "breathe your reg and look at your spg" thing. The only way to get that test to work is to ditch the quarter turn non-sense.

you can "state" it all you want, you'd still be wrong...

Wanna talk about how reliable that test is now?

Wanna talk about how reliable that test is now?
the point is that more often than not, if the valve is shut (which often happens) after it was open earlier it will show, it will also show valve issues and also most of the time if the valve is only slightly open.

you made a definitive statement that wasn't true. It's a worthwhile test, even when it may not always show a problem.

you made a definitive statement that wasn't true. It's a worthwhile test, even when it may not always show a problem.
No it is not, it only makes sense to do that if you turn valves fully open or fully closed. Then it will ALWAYS show the problem.

No it is not, it only makes sense to do that if you turn valves fully open or fully closed. Then it will ALWAYS show the problem.
I do only turn them either off or on, and teach that. However teaching/using a simple check that is done in conjunction with recreational buddy checks or tec equipment checks and will potentially show issues without any extra time just makes sense.

reservoer (I can not spell) .

You're an engineer, aren't you?

As an engineer this has been a good read. I should note that my engineering expertise is in the aerospace sector, but given the design of the overall system, I agree with everyone else that it doesn't seem like this was a first stage issue. Which if I were performing a mishap investigation it would make me think about the statements given by the DM.
I've never dove on a liveaboard, but I'm assuming they have their own air supply to fill tanks and they also service their own tanks? If that's the case it would make perfect sense why the DM would shift the blame over to the reg manufacturer. I mean if the responsibility fell onto the liveaboard itself that could be detrimental to their business if word got out that they have a shady air supply (or supplier, whichever it may be). Sounds like he did his job, because the OP was convinced it was also a design flaw with the regulator.
Just a thought, I could totally be off base. Glad the OP made out with a real life lesson that didn't turn bad.

I am a relatively new diver (30 dives or so) and when on my live aboard, my 1st stage regulator failed in the closed position while I was hooked in at 25 meters. (i am assuming that is the failure. What unfolded is: i had 120 bar left, I was hooked in, I took a breath of air and....nothing to breath. Tried again for second breath...nothing. I looked at my gauge and now it read zero, i grabbed my buddy who was hooked in next to me and buddy breathed to the surface with normal safety stops etc. During buddy breath to the surface, my gauge then went back to 120 bar and I could inhale via my own regulator.). fyi, I was using aqualung rental gear.

1) what failed? how common is this? I intend to get right back into diving again but I am going to buy the most expensive regulator possible! (i need the placebo effect to shake my fear a bit).

2) Often a buddy is not in arms reach (or they are busy with camera etc). After an exhalation and assessing the situation I think i would have had just a couple kicks in me to reach someone. There is a good chance I could have ended up not turning out so well. If, by some chance, my buddy was too far to reach, what are other the realistic options? ( i think pulling weights at 25m = never dive again).

3) what about stealing one breath from my BCD? (it was inflated more than normal since hooked in).

4) It makes me think a pony bottle would be a good thing! (but I fly to my dive sites)

help me build my confidence back up.
thanks!
-david
regulators do not fail closed by design they may free flow but wont close up something else went wrong here

At the end of the day the best check that a valve is open is to Open the valve
Get hold of it and make sure.

FYI, Came across this scenario described in the forums. Sounds like what happened to me...

I hope this information is useful to someone. 25 dives after a complete rebuild service for my Aqualung Legend LX I had my first stage fail shut at 60 feet 40 minutes into the dive. Fortunately my buddy recognized the international signal for out of air - eyes as wide as saucers - and he had his reg in my mouth ASAP. I had 1500 lbs left in the tank (although the gauge fell to zero until we got back to the boat). Took the regulator to a different Aqualung authorized service dive shop for analysis/repair and the issue was determined to be the ACD. From the dive shop - "We found that the ACD inner post valve and yoke nut had come loose." The regulator was rebuilt as listed on the intake documents and theses parts have been torqued to their proper specifications". So, holy cow - a bad service can result in a failed shut condition on the first stage with no prior indication that things are going south. Caveat Emptor.

So, can someone tell me why this post seems to have been completely ignored?

Is it not possible that the description there of the ACD failing closed is what happened to the OP? Inquiring minds that have been reading this thread (and not seen an answer to this) want to know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom