1st stage Hose protectors - necessary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Dooley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I just got my first HOG SPG, and I'll ultimately be connecting it either to my left hip or left chest D ring, with probably a 26" hose to keep things fairly streamlined.

I figure I might go with a Miflex hose - if I do, does that mean I don't really need to worry about a hose protector?

Miflex says that for their HP hoses the protectors are highly recommended. For everything else, don't bother.

no. just one more place for salt water to sit and work its magic.

You don't need hose "protectors" for any kind of hose. They cover up problems rather than preventing them. Actually they can cause problems if you aren't very careful rinsing your gear as they can trap salt and grit.

Miflex says that for their HP hoses the protectors are highly recommended. For everything else, don't bother.
Store/pack your regs with a reasonable radius bend in the hoses and this is not an issue. Just because you can fold braided hoses doesn't mean you should.

[Edit - I misread the quoted post. My comments refer to braided hoses in general. Since Miflex only recommends protectors for their HP hoses, it makes sense to follow their advice (or use a different hose).]

I'd rather take a few seconds to check that my hoses are put away correctly than faff with trying to properly clean under hose protectors.

Store/pack your regs with a reasonable radius bend in the hoses and this is not an issue. Just because you can fold braided hoses doesn't mean you should.

I'd rather take a few seconds to check that my hoses are put away correctly than faff with trying to properly clean under hose protectors.

I think Miflex is serious, why else would they include them? They don't for any of their other hoses.

The better solution would be just not to use their HP hoses, other companies make HP flex hoses that don't require hose protectors.

Just imagine, if you clip the spg to the shoulder you can read it

How smart is that!

To hose protector or not to hose protector that is the question

I think Miflex is serious, why else would they include them? They don't for any of their other hoses.

The better solution would be just not to use their HP hoses, other companies make HP flex hoses that don't require hose protectors.
Good point. I didn't read your post closely enough. I've added an edit to the earlier post.

Maybe avoid braided HP hoses entirely. That's what Piranha recommended when I was recently buying a hose and SPG for my son. They said customers have had problems with braided HP hoses, but never with traditional rubber.

Here's an Alec Peirce video on the subject. I like his stuff for the old school answers to basic questions. The short version is that he recommends hose protectors only on the first stage end for rubber hoses and no protectors on braided hoses.

Here's an Alec Peirce video on the subject. I like his stuff for the old school answers to basic questions. The short version is that he recommends hose protectors on the first stage end only for rubber hoses and no protectors on braided hoses.

I'm a big fan of Alec's. I guess my follow up question would be... should I just go rubber for the SPG hose? Is there even a meaningful benefit for a braided hose with an SPG? I (almost) never dive with the SPG in my mouth so how flexy it is seems less important than for a regulator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom