1st Ocean Dive - Key Largo 2/11/06: Suggestions/Recommendations please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redhotmama stole most of my thunder, but here are a few tips not yet covered.

Get to the dock real early so you have plenty of time to find a wetsuit that fits and put on the BC and familiarize yourself with the straps and buckles and such. You don't want to arrive late and be rushing through all this.

Don't rush in gearing up. Sometimes when a captain/DM tells divers they can start getting ready it looks like a timed race, but that will just get you overexerted and make it likely you will make a mistake.

The reefs are mostly finger and grooves where you count the grooves going one way then count the same coming back. Try to swim into the current starting out, then with it returning.

You don't have to cover a lot of ground to see a lot of things. It's OK to stay within a few hundred feet (or even in sight) of the line the first few dives. In fact, you can often see more by finding some decent coral and just hanging around it. There is an amazing amount of diversity on a reef and if you just sit there in one place, you begin to tune in to more and more detail, and the critters get more used to your presence.

Listen attentively to the dive briefing, and if it's choppy keep your mask on and the reg in your mouth on the surface. Don't let go of the line while waiting to get out, especially once you've removed your fins because then you are like a boat with no propeller.

Thank you for the encouragement, and the helpful thoughts. Subject to weather, we are going to try to dive Sat. AM and afternoon, and then Sunday morning, and then desaturate for a Monday noon flight. I found a Florida Keys divesite that has some info and pictures about potential dive sites. I will also call and talk some more with Queiscence about timing and logistics, which should ease some of the unknowns. Thanks to all.
Tom

To both of the new ocean divers, bring warm surface interval wear. Really. No matter how warm 70 degrees sounds whereever you're coming from, being on the surface after a dive that's brought down your core temperature, with the wind blowing and the boat rocking, you will be chilled. I say this after watching countless visitors, including a self-described "Ice-diver" from Canada, shiver their way through winter Florida diving.

If you luck onto a warmer, sunny day, with little wind, you'll be in great shape. But more often than not, this time of year winds up windy and overcast...and even 70 degrees feels awfully chilly when you're sopping wet........

Otherwise, all the other advise is already said.....don't be too concerned about losing your bearings....I'm still the worst navigator ever. Very often, if there's a number of boats anchored nearby, if you pop up to look around, the captain(s) will ask what boat you're from. Then help point you to it. One thing that's helpful is to turn and look at your boat after entering the water, before descending.....what color is the hull? Where is the boat/op name written on it? A simple thing to make it much easier at the end of your dive.
Have fun and enjoy!

If you want guided dives, check out Rainbow Reef. They give the option of a guided dive or not, and it's only a few dollars more for the guide vs $50 that most ops charge.

You'll be fine! As far as dive sites go, the captain/divemaster will probably pick out the sites for you knowing your experience level. If you have a special request, by all means ask.

Do show up on time, but don't be an hour early. On my boat, I might not even be there yet since it only takes about 20 minutes to prep the boat. You can also ask if you might be able to come in the afternoon before your dives to pick out rental gear so you have it in a pile when you come back in the morning.

Dive briefing, dive briefing, dive briefing.....

Of course operators like newbies who try, they're the most fun! If you have ANY questions about ANYTHING... ASK!!! If you want the DM to look over your gear and make sure it's set up properly, ask. He/she will probably do it anyway, but it never hurts to have a 2nd pair of eyes.

This has come up on a couple of recent threads, might have to start a new one...

DO NOT SURFACE DURING THE DIVE TO DO A BOAT CHECK AT A POPULAR DIVE SITE!!!

There are enough boaters out there that have no clue how to watch for bubbles to make this a pretty dangerous proposition.

Rachel

Just talk to the Dive op and let them know your experience level, no shame in being a newbie AT ALL! Mostly everyone I've met down there is very patient and helpful!

Just pay attention to the briefing, and do your checks, take your time, breathe, relax atc..you'll do great!

Lots of stuff to see at shallow depths!

Last time down I used Blue Water Divers in Key Largo, Brent is great!

Have fun! We'll expect a full report when you get back!

I did go get Safety sausages, and whistles, and have been diligently reviewing my course book, and dive tables. I am just hoping we don't have a weather blow-out. Thanks for all of the input and suggestions.
Tom

You can't go wrong with the city of Washington and even the Benwood. The Benwood was blown up years ago due to becoming a navigational hazard, so it fairly spred out but it has a lot to see in terms of marine life. Depth is between 30'-45'. The French reef is also a beautiful dive. If you get a chance The Christ of the Deep Statue is pretty cool for first timers to the area. This can get pretty crowded at times though.
Head the warnings of other in this post regarding warm clothing for your surface intervals as i have gotten chilled even into late april after being down a while. Good luck and good diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom