1st Ocean Dive - Key Largo 2/11/06: Suggestions/Recommendations please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divingguy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
New to diving, and to the Board, and I have learned a tremendous amount just by reading numerous posts on various topics. However, I need to see if I could please get some suggestions or recommendations.
My 18 year old son and I are "new" divers, with just a couple of fresh-water dives since getting OW certified in Texas lakes, with like zero vis. On 2/11 and 2/12, we will be taking my son and a friend of his to Key Largo. This friend has done some ocean dives, but this will be a first for us. After trying to learn I all could, and having to make travel/hotel/boat arrangements "blind", I went with Quiescence, in part because although we have basis mask, fins, snorkel, etc..., we will be having to rent evertying else, and with it being our first boat dive, wanted to go with a small boat and small crowd. They seemed to have a good rep. I was right up front with them about being new divers, and first ocean dive. They invited my wife may to come along onboard to snorkel.
I have read and appreciated numerous recent threads about boat etiquette, diving buddies, salt water buoyancy, etc. I want to be as good a diver and diving buddy as I can be for this limited experience level, and we are all really looking forward to the trip, but it is a little intimidating with so many new variables to handle at one time - boat exits/entries, thicker wetsuits, salt water buoyancy, actually being able to see!
Any suggestions on sites to dive around Key Largo that would be good "newbie" sites for this trip - not too deep, but things to see?
Are the boat captains and other divers pretty understanding/forgiving with newbies who are honest about their skill levels/limitations, but really do try hard?
Sorry for the long post, but would appreciate your input.
If this is in the wrong forum, please let me know.
Thanks,

Tom

You'll be fine, don't worry. They are used to new divers. I think Key Largo is the newbie capital of the world. The sites are shallow and the most popular ones are Molasses Reef and the Dry Rocks/Statue. There are deep wrecks in Key Largo, but your operator will not take you to one.

It's easy to lose the boat if you don't have navigation skills. If you are using a compass to navigate, Begin from the anchor line or mooring line, not the boat. The boat will swing. Try and keep the anchor position relative to your location in mind at all times. Sometimes, there is a good current and if you get down current from the boat and can't make headway, you need to stop fighting the current and signal (you do have a safety sausage?) the boat to be picked up.

Another potential problem is surge which creates a washing machine effect. This can make ascending the ladder tricky. Always listen to the Captain's briefing about how to doff your fins and ascend. There is usually a line from the ladder where you remove your fins and then put them on your wrists. Don't touch the ladder until you are prepared to ascend it. In other words, don't hang onto the ladder, but plant your feet on the lowest rung, grasp the handrails, and ascend.

But again, don't worry. I'm sure you'll have a great experience.

Try Ocean Divers...800-451-1113. They have everything you need. Marina del Mar is a great Hotel, Holiday Inn or the condos at Port Largo Villas...all walking distance from OD

Lots of fun shallow sites in Key Largo - If you like to see some wreckage check out "City of Washington" - nice and shallow - but one of my favorites on our recent trip. Very decayed but still very identifiable as a boat. Also saw some nurse sharks on this wreck. Awesome dive.

Its winter and the wind can be strong. Take bonine or some other seasickness medicine the night before you go out on the boat and then again in the morning.

I second the idea of making sure you have a safety sausage or other surface signaling device. A whistle is also good if they don't see you right away if you should get swept down current and can't make your way back.

Pay attention to the site briefing so you know where the reef or wreck is, locate the mooring line on the bottom, then procede to the reef or wreck keeping your bearings to the mooring line.

As long as you are on a guided dive, don't worry about it. I researched like crazy before my first ocean dive (a couple weeks ago) so I'd be ready, and it ended up being no big deal. -Just keep track of your buddy and keep following the DM.

...I just told 'em we were new and they helped us pick out the right amount of weight, get our equipment on, final check, water entry, getting back onboard. They were there for us every step of the way. And we were on a boat with 2 groups and about 18 people! So, yours should be even easier! It'll depend on the DM and other staff too, but relax and enjoy it.

Oh, and don't worry so much about being new. They've gotta love newbies who try to be good divers much more than some of these know-it-all dorks who stand on the bottom or bouce off coral over and over again. I thought those divers would be rare, but we had 2 in our group!

My 2¢,

Unless you request and pay for a DM/guide, there won't be one. It's not the norm in the Keys. That's why paying attention to the location of the mooring line is a very good idea.

The reef sites in Key Largo are fairly shallow <30' -

Many ops will suggest that 1/2 way through your dive you surface (slowly as you normally would) and locate the boat, and then dive back down and head back towards the boat. This procedure would not be recommended for deeper dives...

If you do want a DM to accompany you on the dive, you should request that in advance, as these are NOT guided tour dives.

city of washington is awesome there is a goliath grouper a cuda and several nurse sharks that are hand fed by capt slate they come in real close untill they figure out you have no food. snapper ledge is another good one so is molasses reef. hire a guide for your first dive you will feel more comfortable and they will point out things you might miss.

howarde:
Many ops will suggest that 1/2 way through your dive you surface (slowly as you normally would) and locate the boat, and then dive back down and head back towards the boat. This procedure would not be recommended for deeper dives...

I've seen newbs do this and not be able to get back down. Ummm..make sure you are properly weighted!

This is my first post, but I've been lurking for quite awhile...

I am also about to make my first venture into "real" ocean diving. We're going to Key Largo a week from today (please good weather, please good weather!), and plan to spend 3-4 days diving and exploring. We've never been to the keys but Largo seemed like a reasonable choice for newbies, and it's not that far a drive.

Thanks for the tips everyone!
D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom