1st Live-a-board, any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Throw some extra clothespins in your bag. That way your suits, towels, etc. will dry out overnight on the line and not end up in a soppy pile on the deck.

Ear plugs are also good in case you share a cabin with a snorer.

Another thought, we had a waterproof bag with us, when the liveaboard days were coming to an end ther wasn't enough time to dry things and we were glad to have a waterproof bag to pack our wet - wetsuits in as well as any other wet gear that didn't go in the gear bag.

Surface sausage and dry bags we have. Like the idea of clothepins, especially if it gets windy. I have actually given a couple of Dive Alerts as gifts, yet to buy one for myself. I do carry a small mirror and whistle along with the sausage.

diver_paula:
Live aboards can be quite fun.

o If you are taking books to read - consider taking paperbacks to leave behind for the crew.

Really? Wow...I never thought of that. Probably just as well; when I went on Blackbeard's in May I took along "Timequake" by Kurt Vonnegut. Somehow I don't think of dive boat crews as Vonnegut types. :)

o Take enough film & batteries 'cause they can be quite expensive on board. Or go digital and rechargeable!

Again, from the Blackbeard's cruise: if you do go the film route, buy slide film. A mountain of it. Believe me, for trips like this, you'll be glad you did--when you look at the slides through a magnifier on a light table, or project them onto a wall at home. It puts you back on the boat in a way that prints and especially digital simply can't.

cheers

Billy S.

Fortunately I shoot digital so just need to take the Flashtrax along. Dramamine is a must, I have never tried the patches, I wonder how well the work? Moogyboy, agree slide film quality is hard to beat. But when I put a slide show set to music together in a couple of minutes, you are back on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom