1st Diving Systems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moogyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Can't find any info on these guys either on the web or on this forum (yes, I tried the search engine...no dice). They don't even appear to have a website of their own. All I know is that Diver's Direct has great prices on their R10 an R20 regs, and Rodale's gave both of them glowing reviews. Can anybody shed some light on 1st (or is it IST? That logo of theirs doesn't make it very clear...I should know, I'm a designer :-D)

cheers

Billy S.

I won't comment on the regs other than to caution about the potentially false economy of buying a reg at a great price on line and then encountering problems getting it serviced and/or discovering that the company has discontinued the reg a couple years down the road and no longer supports it.

My advice is to buy locally or at least if you have to buy on-line, get a reg from a widely established company with a widespread network of local dealers to ensure you can continue to get it serviced locally.

As for Rodale's equipment reviews, they are often regarded by many divers as leaving a lot to be desired in terms of accuracy or objectivity.

Can't find any info on these guys either on the web or on this forum (yes, I tried the search engine...no dice). They don't even appear to have a website of their own. All I know is that Diver's Direct has great prices on their R10 an R20 regs, and Rodale's gave both of them glowing reviews. Can anybody shed some light on 1st (or is it IST? That logo of theirs doesn't make it very clear...I should know, I'm a designer :-D)

cheers

Billy S.
Can you tell us what a "good deal" is as in price?
Unless we get some contributors that have actually owed or serviced these regulators I do not recommend buying an obscure brand of regulator. They may turn out to use parts similar to Hollis/Oceanic (Aeris) or Hog/Edge or Zeagle similar regulators. Until you know that for sure or you are someone whom services your own regulators, I would not buy them. On a side note, you can buy a Hollis DC-1 first stage and 212 second stage set up for $250 from Dive Gear Express. You will need to add on an octo but this regulator has many fans here and is environmentally sealed, easy to get service parts and people to service them. You don't need to spend $500 to get a great regulator but going cheap from the start for an unknown brand invites problems later. I'm not a dive shop owner or a manufacturer. I just want you to know very good regulators are out there for not a lot of money. I'm hoping more knowledgeable folks about IST will chime in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom