1st Back Plate Disappointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Inazuma zoomer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone
Looking for a bit of advice…

I’ve just bought my 1st bp and harness and I’m a bit disappointed.

To me it seems the shoulder slots are at the wrong angle. They’re fine when the straps are straight (with 2” space), but as soon as I put it on, the shoulder strap angle means only the inside edge of the webbing is tensioned. Surely this will wear the edge/ harness faster? Is this right?

Has anyone else noticed this - I’ve looked at other plates online, but they all seem the same? Is it just how it is? It was sold as a Scubapro plate and harness.

IMG_3772.jpeg

Webbing is taught against full edge of the slot

IMG_3773.jpeg

Slots not aligned with shoulder angle

IMG_3778.jpeg

Definitely slack on outside edges

IMG_3774.jpeg

Better view showing only inside edge tight against the plate

Any advice more than appreciated - if only to put my mind at ease.
Thanks

Your shoulder straps are always going to be loose when in trim. They are ever only under tension when you're dry.

Get some hollow/tubular 2" webbing and slide it over that part of the harness. Only need a couple inches and it will take the wear and is easily replaceable.

It looks fine to me. Don’t overthink things.

They're fine as pictured. The webbing may initially show signs of wear (or not) but that will stop on its own. No need for sleeves, crossed straps or other contrivances/modifications. Mine are 25 years old and going strong.

Back
Top Bottom