1976 Scubapro Jet Fin (Red White and Blue)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod:
Was that the one with the diesel engine converted gasoline engine that blew pistons into higher orbit than the space shuttle?

Nope, it was gasoline powered, ran beautifully.

Returning from vehicular matters to the original topic :), here's a pair of bicentennial tricolour Rocket fins that fetched $40 at auction:
bicentennial%20rocket%20fins.jpg
Details at
Boondockers Vintage Outdoor Gear Museum

As a bonus, another pair of bicentennial tricolour fins, US Divers Otarie fins featured on Flickr:
1783705995_178708f1ba.jpg
Details at
US Divers Otarie model bicentennial year flippers

So wearers of either full-foot or open-heel fins had the wherewithal to celebrate the bicentennial.

Apparently, the white fin colour changes to yellow over the years, so if anybody is still wearing either model of these tricolour fins, they're probably paying tribute to Romania rather than the United States:
romania-flag.gif

I think they're butt ugly but here are some on craigslist

bi-centenial dive fins

I agree. These brash, garish mid-1970s confections contrast markedly with the elegant, classic, solid-colour designs of the same era, such as the yellow rubber Cressi Rondines pictured below, sadly discontinued by their Italian manufacturer when they decided their future lay in plastics:
25127.jpg

Certainly, fins ain't what they used to be and many of today's designs seem, to me at least, even uglier than these versions of the Rocket and the Otarie.

I suspect I am the person Walter is referring early in this thread. I finally remembered where I had squirreled them away. These have never been used. All the straps are original and in great shape, but the white snorkel keeper is a bit stiff. An old friend found these is his father's house after his parents had passed. They were still in the boxes, but the fin and snorkel boxes crumbled.

Attachments

• 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 1,786
thats awesome ^^
I have my Grandfather's set. The straps are cracked but the fins are fine. Just bought some spring straps for them. They are coming to Cuba with me this winter!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom