19 or 30 cubic feet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rye_a

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have opted to put together a pony bottle for my set-up, and can't decide between a 19 or 30 cubic foot bottle. It appears that there isn't much difference in physical size, so I am leaning towards the 30. any thoughts?

The big question is how do you want to mount the cylinder? There is a bit of a size and weight difference. IMO, 19's are great when mounted to your main tank with a Pony Tamer or similar system. The 30 can be a bit big for that. Most folks that I know 'sling' a 30 from their BC where it rides along under the diver's arm.
Another thing to consider is how do you want to use the bottle. If it's just for you then attached to your main tank is fine. A bottle on a sling can be passed off to another diver in an out of air emergency so you do not have to hang on to each other (athough it's still not a bad idea to ensure that the OOA diver reaches the surface and can get positively bouyant).

Just my .02!

I went throught the same question with myself about 6 months ago. What I did was take a look at my air consumption and see if I could get from 100' to the surface with a 19. I could have but I would have been cutting it close and with the added stress of what ever is going on to make me use my pony, I may not make it. So I decided to go with the bigger of the two. And actually I went with a 40cf. I want to get into Tech a little bit down the road so I figured it would be useful, plus extra air is never a problem. I have mine slung and when I am in the water I hardley notice it at all...

So bottom line is go with the 40cf.

Thats my opinion anyway...

Phil

I plan to mount it to my main tank with these Zeagle Pony Bottle Attachments since I plan to use the pony for a redundant air source for myself, and I don't have aspirations of tech diving. So, is the concensus that a 19 will be much less obtrusive in a tank mounted set-up?

I went throught the same question with myself about 6 months ago. What I did was take a look at my air consumption and see if I could get from 100' to the surface with a 19. I could have but I would have been cutting it close and with the added stress of what ever is going on to make me use my pony, I may not make it. So I decided to go with the bigger of the two. And actually I went with a 40cf. I want to get into Tech a little bit down the road so I figured it would be useful, plus extra air is never a problem. I have mine slung and when I am in the water I hardley notice it at all...

So bottom line is go with the 40cf.

Thats my opinion anyway...

Phil

If you have any desire to do technical diving or get into doubles. Go with a 40 cu. ft. bottle and sling it. This way you can go from using it as a "pony" bottle to a deco bottle (O2).

I'd recommend you go with a 40 and sling it. If you don't want to go that route, definitely go with a 30 over a 19.

I plan to mount it to my main tank with these Zeagle Pony Bottle Attachments since I plan to use the pony for a redundant air source for myself, and I don't have aspirations of tech diving. So, is the concensus that a 19 will be much less obtrusive in a tank mounted set-up?

go with the 19. If at some point later you decide you need more you can always get a 30 or 40, which are best slung like a stage. the 19 mounted on your main tank will be a true bailout bottle - used only in emergencies that should not happen. there is no good reason to hand off a tank like some say - you really need to stay in contact with an OOA diver all the way to the surface anyway.

I did not find any tank mounting system that allows easy switching of main tanks during sit. So I used a standard bracket on the pony (one of those copper-colored curved ones that comes with the two steel bands).. then I bought a tank mount belt (cam band) and slipped it through the mounting bracket. the idea is that when removing the bc from the tank, the pony/bailout is first removed. after attaching main tank, the pony is slipped down the tank and tightened.

You can also mount it valve-down, put it on tank before BC (for lower positioning), and there is nothing at all that stays on the main tank at any time.

I also do not use an octo reg on the main tank, but use the pony/bailout reg as the octo. more streamlined and it's fully redundant.

It is also a nice system for deco dives cause with the bailout bottle attached to the main tank, there is plenty of room for the al40 deco bottle to be slung under the arm.

-skip

Sling at least a 30 if not the 40
IMO

Also depends quite a bit on the type of diving you do, the maximum depths involved and whether you go into deco or not as I'm sure you are aware.

I've been fine with a 19 cu ft so far, but may sling a 30 or 40 when I'm diving to my maximum depths and anticipating deco. The 19 fits fairly well on my primary tank and it is slightly counter-weighted to maintain trim.

The reason I prefer not to sling (and may opt for a butt-mounted 30 or 40 in the future, is that it gets in my way as I am filming subjects on the bottom, and can stir up extra sediment. Of course these may not be issues for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom