1800's fishing anchor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green Monkey

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for a little help in finding information on the web. I have found what I believe is an 1800's fishing anchor. See photo's on my Blog at http://montserratdiving.blogspot.com/ .

I am looking for more information on identifying the anchor and preserving it. I currently have chipped away the growth and I have been soaking the anchor in fresh water for 5 days.

any ideas please let me know.

thanks

It is a yachtman's kedge anchor...commonly used by sailing boats..not rare but worth the effort to raise it.

Possibly from 1800s but it's condition would indicate 1900s...

Great find!

SDM

Cool find! Thanks for sharing a pic of it... hmm.. share anything else you learn about it as well.

For preservation, check out the Mel Fisher web site, possibly contact them about what you can do to preserve the item. :)

Don't forget to keep changing the fresh water to keep the rate of salt expelling high. I know for cannons, they recommend finding a freshwater stream to put them in. This can take MONTHS to properly do. If you don't desalt it properly, that thing turn to a pile of rust once taken out of the water. Eventually you'll want to a solvent/wax solutions to soak it in. I have a book at home that recommends proper restoration, I'll try to look it up. PM me if I forget to get back to you.

Great find! I would try electrolysis to preserve it. I just started using this method on iron/steel artifacts and have not completed the preservation of anything yet, but it appears to be working well. It is a fairly simple set-up and will be much quicker than just using fresh water, but it will still take at least a couple of months and probably more, to completely remove the salt.

There are a lot of websites that will describe the process that you should check out, but all you need are a large plastic container that will hold the entire anchor under water, some sodium carbonate (washing soda), a car battery charger, and some steel like rebar or wire. (i'm using old barbed wire cause thats what I had)

Put the metal around the edge of the plastic container and wire them together. This process is "line of site" so there needs to be a direct line between the metal and the anchor for it to work properly. Then fill the container with water and add some sodium carbonate. Hang the anchor in the container so that it does not touch any of the metal. Attach the positive car battery connector to the metal and the negative to the anchor. Bubbles will begin to form immedietly. Make sure you have this in a well ventillated area because the bubbles are hydrogen. Let the anchor sit for as long as you can. Since extra electrolysis will not hurt it and it is a fairly large artifact, I would let it sit for at least 6 months.

The biggest obstacles I see you having are waiting long enough, (I know that I am very impatient for the process to finish) and finding a container large enough to keep the anchor under water the whole time. Anyway, good luck and let me know how it turns out.

Thanks for the info. I did go to Mel Fischers site and emailed there forum. They also recommended the electolysis as well and suggested that it stay for up to 8 months.

Back
Top Bottom