16-17 BH report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fire_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Well, I arrived at the BH about 4:00 on Saturday afternoon. LOTS of "jumpers". Vis was ok, and great down at the bottom. I has a moment of vertigo at about 60ft. Very wierd. Never experienced it before. Felt like I was rolling, spinning, and plumeting all at once. My brain new things weren't at they seemed. I looked at my computer and comfirmed that my depth was steady, and then the feeling past. Kinda felt like being REALLY drunk for about 5 seconds. But I have a little better understanding of panic now. One little peice of my brain was saying, "just get to the surface and everything will be OK." Gotta watch out for that in the future. Don't want that voice to EVER take control.

I went to Perch for my second dive, and aborted the dive after 10 minutes of 2 foot vis.

I just finish my 8:00 Sunday morning dive. I sure am glad I got down as soon as I did. Once the classes hit the bottom, the vis dissapeared. talk about rototillers! After I surfaced, I heard the two instructors talking about doing the PPB and nav dives next. :confused:

I have so little respect for an AOW program now. Watching those flailing nincompoops that were taking an AOW course was dis-heartening to say the least.

Well, I'm off to try Perch again, then I'll be off to Deming. Don't know if I'll have internet access there or not. If not, I 'll be back in a week. :D

FD

Thanks for the report.

Go with very few people to Perch. Make sure everyone frog kicks, sculls, or uses an appropriate technique to avoid silting.
Its a cool dive with 10 to 15 feet vis. The airplane is fun to check out. Its bigger than most people would think.

I know what you mean. We're out on Sunday for a couple of dives and the viz sucked!! We're talking major Hoover here!!!!!! :shakehead

As we dropped down, (through the haze) noticed the hula-hoops strung across the hole. Not a good sign, AOW classes are in the house.....

At the bottom it was totally kicked up. A huge difference from last weekend. There is also some strange woman diver in doubles running line across the bottom kicking up silt all over the place as well. I actually wrote on my wetnotes to my buddy "What in the heck is THAT???" Ratty, holey old wetsuit doing some very strange things. Oh well, cheap entertainment, if I could only see it! :eyebrow:

Hey Kevin,

Sorry I couldn't make it this weekend. I'll be there next weekend, but you'll be in Catalina right?
I always amazes me to see how many shops bring there AOW class to BH and have them stand on the bottom. It isn't doing the students any favors people. It is funny to see a whole group shuffle-walking along the bottom, for the first 2 seconds, then you can't see them anymore.

Jasonmh:
Hey Kevin,

Sorry I couldn't make it this weekend. I'll be there next weekend, but you'll be in Catalina right?
I always amazes me to see how many shops bring there AOW class to BH and have them stand on the bottom. It isn't doing the students any favors people. It is funny to see a whole group shuffle-walking along the bottom, for the first 2 seconds, then you can't see them anymore.
Have fun! I'll take lots of pictures of the San Clemente and Catalina for you! LOL!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom