15l tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm an air hog as well...big guy, big lungs, and all that. I even bought my wife a longer octo hose so I can get on her "Hose of Shame" so it's more comfortable for both of us. About 5 years ago, we started diving with an op that uses the steel hp 120 tanks. That made it much more enjoyable for everyone around. Even when I would upgrade to the AL 100 tanks, it didn't seem to make that much difference. The steel 120's give us 90 minute dives. She dives a HP100 and it usually works out perfect now. If we start deep and stay deep, I may need her hose for 10 minutes or so just to extend the dive before going back on mine for the ascent. I believe the three ops using the steel 120's are Aldora (our choice), Living Underwater, and Liquid Blue. Unless your married to your dive op, which I completely understand, you might give the big tanks a try.

Good luck, safe travels,
Jay

I know Aldora has their own filling station. So they I think actually fill their 120 to the correct operating pressures. As for the rest, I would assume they use MerryD and get 3000 only. Still more though.

I know Aldora has their own filling station. So they I think actually fill their 120 to the correct operating pressures. As for the rest, I would assume they use MerryD and get 3000 only. Still more though.
I think their tanks usually run around 3400 psi, maybe a little higher if they had been setting in the sun, but quickly went back to 3400 ish once you dropped in. I don't know about the others. Aldora just works for us for our favorite dive masters(Jorgito, Sherrief, Dario, and Rich), pick up a block from our favorite hotel, big tanks, multiple fast boats so we don't get mixed in with brand new divers, surface interval at a beach club, the 43 foot Felicity in case the port is closed to small craft, and positioning boats on the East side in case of full port closures. While the big tanks and long dives are the primary reason we dive with them, we would probably still dive with them if they used AL80's like everyone else.

Safe travels,
Jay

I know they do it right. I have been considered acting like I am eating at Casa Mission and then sneaking across the street to fill my 118 all the way with that sweet Aldora air....

And they do have some fast boats. Almost as fast as the Maximus.....

I know they do it right. I have been considered acting like I am eating at Casa Mission and then sneaking across the street to fill my 118 all the way with that sweet Aldora air....

And they do have some fast boats. Almost as fast as the Maximus.....

Maximus is smokin fast!!

Maximus is smokin fast!!
It's a wonderful and comfortable boat. It's always a delight to go on on her, but I have to wonder how the owner affords to run her at her rates.

OK, I'll bite. What dive op runs the Maximus?

Is it Scuba With Alison?

Low overhead when the owner is the DM, I guess.
The first time I went out with y'all, I asked her how she can run such a huge boat for only 6 divers. She told me she was a fool for buying it, but she does run a great Op. She does not waste fuel & time fetching divers in town of course. Got to get to the southern marina on your own.

The first time I went out with y'all, I asked her how she can run such a huge boat for only 6 divers. She told me she was a fool for buying it, but she does run a great Op. She does not waste fuel & time fetching divers in town of course. Got to get to the southern marina on your own.

Yea it would cost more than cab fare to get the Max up to town and back.

Back
Top Bottom