13 cubic foot bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Am I the only guy who struggles with you 'old timers' still using feet and inches? I carry a .9 litre pony filled to 220bar = about 200 litres of air. My SAC is about 12 l/m, say 15 in a crisis, 200 / 15 = 13 minutes. The best way to check it out is to use it, get down to 40m, is that 130 ft? and make an ascent using the pony, if you run out, go back to the main tank.
I like a .9l, it's small, light, can be packed as cabin bagagge, and will get you out of most situations, either to the surface on your own, or to your buddy, who really needs more?

Am I the only guy who struggles with you 'old timers' still using feet and inches? I carry a .9 litre pony filled to 220bar = about 200 litres of air. My SAC is about 12 l/m, say 15 in a crisis, 200 / 15 = 13 minutes. The best way to check it out is to use it, get down to 40m, is that 130 ft? and make an ascent using the pony, if you run out, go back to the main tank.
I like a .9l, it's small, light, can be packed as cabin bagagge, and will get you out of most situations, either to the surface on your own, or to your buddy, who really needs more?

In the USA we use traditional units, there is no struggling. N

Yeah, the US is kinda dragging on changing to metrics. We're afraid of the decimal I think. It's even hurts us on the wines we can import in a round about way: during WWII the quart bottle was replaced with the 1/5 gallon in an effort to reduce the amount of grains used to make whiskey by 20% while encouraging those who bought a bottle every now and then to make do with a smaller bottle to support the war effort. The Fifth became tradition here and overseas exporters adopted to it somewhat, or didn't export. Later when European wines went metric, US regs required a 750 ml bottle so as to not confuse wine shoppers - so we miss out on the wines only bottled in 700 ml bottles. :silly:

I often have to use an online conversion site like Liters to Cubic Feet conversion calculator which tells me that 200 liters = 7 cf. :shocked2: Gawd, just get the large Spare Air. I like a much larger one, albeit heavier to carry around before, between, and after.

We are not metric yet, but we are inching our way towards it.

I remember back in the 70's when the gov't tried to get us to convert to metrics. All of a sudden there were highway mile markers with the metric equivalent below. About ten years later the metric part dissapeared.On the job we got some metric blueprints instead of inches and feet along with some measuring devices in metrics. What a disaster that was. Guys (no gals in those days) were missing walls and channels, walls were not where they were supposed to be, buildings were either longer or shorter than in the specs, elevations were wrong, etc. That didn't last long either. A costly experiment. You guys overseas who drive on the wrong side of the road and don't know how to measure in the correct way go ahead with your shortcomings. We'll forge ahead as the leaders of the world and keep our own way of doing things.

The math is the same, and I don't care what unit is written after each value. "Metric only" people like to say that metric is easier, as to "Imperial only" people, but it's all the same thing.

1CF = 28.3L
1ft = .3m
1ATM = 1BAR (close enough)

A US High Pressure 100 cylinder holds about 3CF/100PSI, or 12L/BAR.

etc.

I remember back in the 70's when the gov't tried to get us to convert to metrics. All of a sudden there were highway mile markers with the metric equivalent below. About ten years later the metric part dissapeared.On the job we got some metric blueprints instead of inches and feet along with some measuring devices in metrics. What a disaster that was. Guys (no gals in those days) were missing walls and channels, walls were not where they were supposed to be, buildings were either longer or shorter than in the specs, elevations were wrong, etc. That didn't last long either. A costly experiment. You guys overseas who drive on the wrong side of the road and don't know how to measure in the correct way go ahead with your shortcomings. We'll forge ahead as the leaders of the world and keep our own way of doing things.
Mixing feet and meters crashed a Mars ship too, didn't it?

I remember learning about the metric system in third grade...our teacher said that we NEED to learn this because we'll be using it exclusively in the next ten years! Seeing that I was in third grade in 1972, and it's 2009...I'd say she was wrong!:rofl3:

We're centimetering towards it just doesn't have the same ring does it?

Anyway, 200 liters = 7 cf - might get you thru a CESA from 130 to surface, maybe - but I don't think you have enough for a slow ascent or any stops at all. We could debate your RB, etc but it's just too close to minimums for comfort. If it was twice as large, at least it would be within the parameters of this discussion.

Have you actually tried a 40 meter CESA with it, like you suggested...?
I remember learning about the metric system in third grade...our teacher said that we NEED to learn this because we'll be using it exclusively in the next ten years! Seeing that I was in third grade in 1972, and it's 2009...I'd say she was wrong!:rofl3:
In 1967 I was taught that a 7.62 mm round was equivalent to .30 caliber. We use it some. :wink:

Firearms calibers are exempt. Think about some of them and why they are named the way they are, like: .30/30, .30/06 (or 03), 7mm, 6.5/55, .22/250, .243, .30/40, 7.62/39, .400/450, .450 American (Ackley), et al. Some are the bullet diameter, some the bullet diameter and case capacity in black powder or cordite, some the bullet diameter and the year invented, some the bullet diameter and length of case in mm, etc. Very confusing if you don't know the history.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom