13 cubic foot bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would there be enough air in a thirteen cubic foot bottle to make an ascent from 130 feet, which would include a one minute stop at 30 and 50 feet and a three minute at 20, for a person like myself who is pretty easy on air most of the time? :eyebrow:

The 13 will bring you up. But probably not with all the stops. For deep solo on a single I use a 19. I have several times made an ascent, just for purposes of testing, from well below 100 feet and had ample remaining air.

I cleaned mine for Nitrox, use a Mark V first on it with button gauge, sling it as if it were a stage bottle.

Several years back, at the Blue Hole, I carried it to the spring in my snorkel bag, since I was alone there due to a cold snap, I took a few pics of the place and when the ranger tired of watching me I grabbed the 19 and went into the spring. I used my Sea Turtle on Mark V, carried the 19 through my weight belt with a Velcro loop. I ran out of air on my return just as I hit the chimney. Without all that my memory is nowadays, I figure my total trip length in and out was 100 to 120 feet or so but there was current and I was freezing so it was hard to keep my breathing smooth with the bad shaking.

Last summer I stuck my anchor. After circling it and then using my recovery ball with no success I grabbed the 19 which was my only remaining full tank. The depth was the typical 80 to 85 feet out of Destin. I went down the anchor line, got the anchor out of the wreck and returned to the surface with a stop at 15 feet. The Aeris XR2 kept beeping at me on the way up reminding me to go slow(er) and I complied but I also kept looking at the button gauge falling rapidly to zero. But, I was well in the green on my deco and it is not as if for years and years we made 60FPM ascents with no safety stop. I ran out of air just as I completed my stop. I was skip breathing the stop and my time on the bottom. My anchor rode is marked, I had out 240 feet. The skip breathing gave me head ache. The anchor was a brand new Fortress I had found the previous year on the Liberty Ship.

N

Ok...Thanks for this discussion. It has given me good opinions on a redundant system. But since you guys are talking life or death from 100'+, let me throw out a newbie (read stupid)question....You are at depth, you are ooa, you do not have a bailout. You are done, period. CAN you make it to the surface by (re-)breathing the air in your wing during a quick (but not too quick) accent? What risks / consequences do you face during / after? To me...anything would be better than the alternative ending!! Don't flame me....just curious and you guys seem to know your stuff. Thanks!

Ok...Thanks for this discussion. It has given me good opinions on a redundant system. But since you guys are talking life or death from 100'+, let me throw out a newbie (read stupid)question....You are at depth, you are ooa, you do not have a bailout. You are done, period. CAN you make it to the surface by (re-)breathing the air in your wing during a quick (but not too quick) accent? What risks / consequences do you face during / after? To me...anything would be better than the alternative ending!! Don't flame me....just curious and you guys seem to know your stuff. Thanks!

Give it a try, let us know how it works....

Just do what James Bond did once, find a tire on a submerged car and breathe off it. Don't try it any deeper than about 35 ft, though. At that depth ambient pressure is about equal to the air pressure in the tire. :wink:

I love these 'what-if' scenarios. Not exactly useful for diving, but fun.

For some reason I figured that question would go like this! The bad thing is that, when I needed a little air, the tires were all at 35 ft or deeper!! Just my luck, huh?!? But seriously....if there is such a thing at this point....I REALLY don't think I could use my tongue to depress the valve stem AND breathe off the tire at the same time! That thing is pretty small!!:D All I am asking is....Is it physically possible and what would be the consequences. I'm sure it couldn't be good....I just simply don't know. Trust me, I am not trying to make light of the thread. Like I said before....stupid question, but remember....the option is death.

Last edited:
McLoviIt: I suppose that if you cut off the valve stem or were strong enough to pull it you could breath the air just like you can breath off of your reg without it being in your mouth, controlling the air flow with your finger. Problem would be dragging the car close enough to the surface to do an emergency ascent. Would be some major halitosis for a while after the stunt though.

This thread left me long ago. DAN's "Alert Diver" magazine has a couple of good articles along these lines tho - one about drilling on CESAs, one about a diver who got injured on a Buoyant ascent after losing a weight belt. See current issue; don't think it would be online yet.

Last edited:
This thread left me long ago. DAN's "Alert Diver" magazine has a couple of good articles along these lines tho - one about drilling on CESAs, one about a diver who got injured on a Buoyant ascent after losing a weight belt.

Bet DAN doesn't tell you how to use a car to safely ascend to the surface and doing all your stops....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom