12-Year-Old Antarctic CCR Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I just had the chance to interview an amazing young man, who at the age of 12 became the youngest person in the world to have dived in the Antarctic Circle. Later that year, he designed and built his own custom rebreather, as a part of a scientific experiment (the results of that experiment show that CCR divers likely see twice as many fish as OC divers).

You can read the interview here. Enjoy!

Hmmm, I expect some naysayers questioning his true contributions to designing and building a custom rebreather. In any event, great achievements for a 13 year old...

He was 12 when he designed and built it (under the supervision of his father, who literally "wrote the book" on rebreather diving). As a CCR diver myself, I wouldn't have been able to properly assemble one at 12, let alone lift it to go diving! Evan is way past his years in terms of maturity and smarts. It was an honor getting to know him through the interview. I think I was having pine cone fights and TPing friend's houses when I was his age.

I probably wouldn't let my son do that, but more power to him.

I would have loved to do any type of diving at 12 years old. However, my parents were not rich and could not buy me stuff like a rebreather (or even a normal scuba kit). Yes, I am jealous. However, I could hold my breath a really long time, so I guess thats a plus.

That's a pretty cool article and that is one lucky young man. At his age I was just a little computer nerd staying in my room all the time, so more power to him.

Peace,
Greg

Any moment now the "nannies" will be along to have a hissy about kids diving.....

Great article! Way to go for the kid!!! Most people will not do what he has, and Evan is only 11?
Congrats!
See you topside! John

What an amazing young man!! I want to know what the other entries were in the competitions to beat him out? I would have thought this would have been top prize easily!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom