12 more days-Let's talk happy bonaire talk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think there's rule against that
Welcome to Bonaire Watersports

"We offer you boat rental for relaxed touring over our crystal clear blue waters and visiting the white beaches of Klein Bonaire.

For the more adventurous types, we also offer waterskiing and wakeboarding with our brand new equipment.

If you prefer to sit back and enjoy the ride, why not rent our boat with a captain who will take you on a tour along the most beautiful spots of the Bonairean West Coast and Klein Bonaire."

I wasn't sure either, so I did a search. This one is located a the Plaza docks

Welcome to Bonaire Watersports
"We offer you boat rental for relaxed touring over our crystal clear blue waters and visiting the white beaches of Klein Bonaire.
Hmmm. That looks interesting. $160 for a full day rental. I wonder if you could fit 4 divers + 8 tanks on that boat. :D Buddy pairs could dive in shifts if necessary. I also wonder if you could take the boat to do some of the sites up north and/or or off of Klein. If you can, it sounds like a lot of fun.

Hmmm. That looks interesting. $160 for a full day rental. I wonder if you could fit 4 divers + 8 tanks on that boat. :D Buddy pairs could dive in shifts if necessary. I also wonder if you could take the boat to do some of the sites up north and/or or off of Klein. If you can, it sounds like a lot of fun.
According to the web site, that is all do-able. It surprised me too

Sorry, but it won't work. Not for scuba diving anyway. All boats who transport diver and dive equipment must have a permit to operate. This includes rental boats and the water taxis. The only exemption (other than getting a permit) is for privately owned yachts. Additionally, it is prohibited to dive from shore on Klein Bonaire. Hence, you must pay someone, like a dive op, who has the permit to boat dive around Klein Bonaire. You are allowed to rent boats and snorkel, picnic, water sports, and a variety of other things, but not scuba dive.

This is why you've never heard anyone doing such a thing. The National Park regulates everything associated with diving highly. Even compressors for diving are regulated.

This is not to say that you can't have a great time renting a boat, just can't scuba dive from it, transport divers or dive equipment on it, without a special permit.

Sorry, but it won't work. Not for scuba diving anyway. All boats who transport diver and dive equipment must have a permit to operate. This includes rental boats and the water taxis. The only exemption (other than getting a permit) is for privately owned yachts.
@Waterskier1: You know, I read the rules and regulations. The phrase "commercial purposes" is used several times in addressing boats transporting SCUBA divers. I would argue that renting a boat and tying up to a buoy for the purposes of diving is not a "commercial" endeavor at all. If I were to charge strangers to do dives off of the boat, then, in my mind, that would qualify as "commercial" boating.

Not saying that you're incorrect here...but a careful review of the rules and regulations posted online would seem to allow what I have proposed.

@Waterskier1: You know, I read the rules and regulations. The phrase "commercial purposes" is used several times in addressing boats transporting SCUBA divers. I would argue that renting a boat and tying up to a buoy for the purposes of diving is not a "commercial" endeavor at all. If I were to charge strangers to do dives off of the boat, then, in my mind, that would qualify as "commercial" boating.

Not saying that you're incorrect here...but a careful review of the rules and regulations posted online would seem to allow what I have proposed.

Bubbletrubble, that would be true if you owned the boat. But the fact that it is a rental in itself makes it "commercial" in that the boat us being used for "commercial" activity (producing income from the fact that it is rented).

I was disappointed that the Bonaire Rental websites didn't specifically address this, but if you look at all the water activities they offer in conjunction with the boat rental, scuba diving is conspicuously missing.

I'll be staying at Buddy's during the same time. (2/27 - 3/6) One of my favorite dive sites is Red Slave. On some of our past trips we had dove it in the afternoon and the current was pretty strong. So strong on one dive we just ended it. But the last two years we went first thing in the morning and almost no current. So if you decide to do that site you may want to opt for a morning dive there. And don't miss Karpata. Another favorite and maybe the best vis of any site we've been to.

Sorry, but it won't work. Not for scuba diving anyway. All boats who transport diver and dive equipment must have a permit to operate. This includes rental boats and the water taxis. The only exemption (other than getting a permit) is for privately owned yachts. Additionally, it is prohibited to dive from shore on Klein Bonaire. Hence, you must pay someone, like a dive op, who has the permit to boat dive around Klein Bonaire. You are allowed to rent boats and snorkel, picnic, water sports, and a variety of other things, but not scuba dive.

This is why you've never heard anyone doing such a thing. The National Park regulates everything associated with diving highly. Even compressors for diving are regulated.

This is not to say that you can't have a great time renting a boat, just can't scuba dive from it, transport divers or dive equipment on it, without a special permit.

Waterskier is correct. In order to carry tanks and divers (regardless of who's driving the boat or on board) you have to have a permit (unless it is a privately owned boat or yacht). This was made clear prior to renting the boat. When we arrived there you have to have your paper receipt for the marine park fee, or pay $2.00 to buy a blue stub. They help you load your gear in the boat, so you would not be able to "sneak" any dive gear on.

We took snacks and drinks, and had a great time:D Just remember that you cannot go inide the deep blue water (into the light blue/turquoise water), or tie up to docks. They give a very good briefing in regard to what you can and cannot do and where you can and cannot go.

If you like boats, I'd highly recommend it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom