12 more days-Let's talk happy bonaire talk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like you pretty much have things covered for your first trip!! Can't blame you for not wanting to schedule every minute, and I'm thinking spending the day with Bas will be just as good as time spent with Jerry. Bas knows his stuff and everyone raves about him!

Tim rents Sea&Sea DX-1G point and shoot cameras (at least that's what he had last year). If you like the camera, I'd really encourage you to buy the DX-2G as it has a few upgraded features from the DX-1G, and is a bit faster. That's what my husband upgraded to last year and you can really see the difference between the DX-2G and the DX8000G if you look at our Bonaire shots then compare them to the Maui, 2009 pictures.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I think I have viewed your pcitures, but will go back and check them out again. I think we will be going to Hawaii this Christmas. I'm torn between the big Island and Maui. I've been to both but not as a diver.

Sounds like you pretty much have things covered for your first trip!! Can't blame you for not wanting to schedule every minute, and I'm thinking spending the day with Bas will be just as good as time spent with Jerry. Bas knows his stuff and everyone raves about him!

Tim rents Sea&Sea DX-1G point and shoot cameras (at least that's what he had last year). If you like the camera, I'd really encourage you to buy the DX-2G as it has a few upgraded features from the DX-1G, and is a bit faster. That's what my husband upgraded to last year and you can really see the difference between the DX-2G and the DX8000G if you look at our Bonaire shots then compare them to the Maui, 2009 pictures.

Yes! I did look before and I loved them. Do you guys use it as is or did you get any upgraded lens, lights or flash? Cameras are a big investment so I am glad to rent for a few days before I buy.

Diver DennisP, check out Den Laman for somewhere to stay as well. Although it isn't a "large" resort, all the condos (except 1) are on the 2nd and 3rd floors with a key needed to get access to the stairs. The doors into the individual condos are arranged around the central staircase, and being that everything is very open and tiled, any noise is amplified considerably. I can't imagine anyone being able to break into a room without everyone in the place knowing about it! The condos also have huge verandas, providing a lot of space to have gear drying outside. There's also security out front at night and the parking lot is lit up like a stadium! Because of that, I recommend an ocean-front room instead of one of the studios!

If you don't care about being ocean-front, check out Golden Reef Inn. They've put in amazing security measures to keep their rooms safe, have video surveilance, and have a good location near the main road.

We'll look into it. We currently are 2 of 8 going in a group. We were thinking of 2 two bedroom units. It will be a group decision and all that are going or interested in going have been activly reading over the boards as well...

Dennis

Maine Diver..I'm sure you will have a wonderful trip and experience on Bonaire. The diving is fantastic, the restaurants are great and the people are wonderful!
If you get a chance and want to chat about Bonaire (one of my favorite topics)drop by VINIBU and say Hi.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, lets keep the ad nauseum debate of safety out of this thread. You'll have a blast Maine Diver. I visited Bonaire for the first time in October of last year and was planning the return trip even before heading to the airport to leave. Only one of us had an underwater camera on the trip and he took short video clips during the dives. One thing I intend to do next November is rent an underwater video camera and record an entire dive right from loading the truck until the memory card runs out, I also want to narrate the dive and see if speech can be understood, exhaust bubbles and even his B.C. inflateing can be clearly heard. Has anyone tried this? Plan one deep dive at Invisibles to see the garden eels between the double reef system, that was my favorite and will be the first dive after the checkout dive when I return.

We'll look into it. We currently are 2 of 8 going in a group. We were thinking of 2 two bedroom units. It will be a group decision and all that are going or interested in going have been activly reading over the boards as well...
The 2BR units at DL are awesome. Two bathrooms, two balconies, huge living room & kitchen, and fully air-conditioned. Unlike the larger properties when you might have a bit of hike to get anywhere, at DL everything is right downstairs off the parking lot, even a very good restaurant for dinner if you're too lazy to cook or drive to town.

One caveat: other larger resorts usually have some sort of buffet for breakfast (and DL used to until Sonja and Eddie moved next door), but at DL you'll either have to cook it yourself, walk next door (the Sunrise restaurant at Sand Dollar off the road), or go to town. Of course doing your own cooking is hardly a chore in DL's beautiful kitchens - they even have dishwashers!

Yes! I did look before and I loved them. Do you guys use it as is or did you get any upgraded lens, lights or flash? Cameras are a big investment so I am glad to rent for a few days before I buy.

Thanks, my husband really loves taking the photos and I enjoy editing them. :) The only addition to the camera is a single strobe. Actually, it was taking the photo course with Tim at Fish Eye Photo that convinced my husband he HAD to have a strobe, so we wound up buying one from him on Bonaire.

In regards to your Christmas trip, we spend Christmas on Maui every year and although we'd really like to do the Big Island one year, the draw of being able to dive 4 islands (Lanai, Maui, Molokini, and Molokai) keeps us going back to Maui....well, that and the whales. :wink: The only real draw I can see of the Big Island is the Manta dive, which just isn't enough to over-ride the advantages of Maui in our minds. It all comes down to personal preference for sure, and I can totally understand the folks who prefer the Big Island.

If you decide to go to Maui, let me know and we'll have to try to hook up for a dive or a drink, or both! :D

The 2BR units at DL are awesome. Two bathrooms, two balconies, huge living room & kitchen, and fully air-conditioned. Unlike the larger properties when you might have a bit of hike to get anywhere, at DL everything is right downstairs off the parking lot, even a very good restaurant for dinner if you're too lazy to cook or drive to town.

One caveat: other larger resorts usually have some sort of buffet for breakfast (and DL used to until Sonja and Eddie moved next door), but at DL you'll either have to cook it yourself, walk next door (the Sunrise restaurant at Sand Dollar off the road), or go to town. Of course doing your own cooking is hardly a chore in DL's beautiful kitchens - they even have dishwashers!

This is true.
We will do take out at the Pizza place and eat in the room.
Couple of years ago Herman had 22 or 23 of us over for dinner in the 2 br he was renting.
Good times!

This is true.
We will do take out at the Pizza place and eat in the room.
Couple of years ago Herman had 22 or 23 of us over for dinner in the 2 br he was renting.
Good times!
Was that the "deluxe" 2BR that used to be the owner's suite? We toured it one night (don't ask :D) and it's truly more awe-inspiring than the regular 2BRs. It even had a separate wine chiller in the spacious open kitchen that could hold a case of wine at optimal temp, perfect for hosting a big dinner on the huge private terrace that's separated from the giant living room by an huge electric roll-up metal door. For two couples sharing, it's still a bit cheaper than each getting their own 1BR, but the regular 2BRs are a better deal and more than luxurious enough for most dive travelers.

Maine Diver, nine trips to Bonaire and I'm still addicted to the island. I've made several trips solo (one just recently in January); so whether you are in a group, or alone, Bonaire is truly a wonderful place. Get to know the locals if you can, very very nice people. Be sure to great them with a smile and a Bon Dia :)

Sand$ is a good property. Make sure to say hi to the Jacks that hang out under the sailboat about half way down the reef (heading North).

Drive around the island during and SI. Have lunch at the Windsurf Place over at Lac Bay and dig your toes in the sand as you watch the windsurfers.

Take lots of pics of the flamingos, slave huts, light house.

On your no-dive day take a mangrove kayak tour, snorkel cave tour, or rent a power boat if you are a boating fan. Last trip we rented a 19 foot boat from Bonaire Boats located at Plaza. Went over to Klein and hooked up to a mooring for an afternoon of relaxation and snorkeling.

Have a beer or glass of wine while you watch the sun set over the Caribbean.

Visit the Donkey Sanctuary and the Animal Shelter. Take carrots for the donkeys so you can feed them.

Have a fantastic vacation, and wonderful dives. Looking forward to hearing your report:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom