12 more days-Let's talk happy bonaire talk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My fav chill trip is to go to Cultimara and get about 10 bags of day old bread, drive over to the donkey sanctuary and enjoy the safari..the critters there are adorable. I also love drinks at Caribbean Club..it's far out there but it really feels like the Caribbean..perfect after a dive at Oil Slick or snorkel at 1000 Steps.

Have sangria or juice at Hang out Bar at Jibe City and watch the sailors..very chill...

Maine Diver ... I am headed back to Bonaire this week for my 19th trip in 11 years. While I have been diving in other spots Bonaire is still my favorite for ease of diving, friendly people,great restaurants and a very laid-back atmosphere. Enjoy!

Maine Diver, as the OP of this thread you have the right to ask a mod to remove anyone who is not following the guidelines of your request... Or, you can do as I have done and put people you don't want to see on your "Ignore" list. That being stated....

You MUST visit
Pasa Bon Pizza for the best American style pizza anywhere! (We haven't found a place with better pizza here in the USA)

Papaya Moon for some of the tastiest south of the boarder Texas-style fare. Excellent

As a matter of fact, look at area restaurants here:
Bonaire Dining Guide

I'll list some of our favorite dives in another post

Local=English
Kabritu=Goat
Galiña=Chicken
Baka=Beef
Kabes ku Higra=Goat Brains and Liver
Stoba=Stew
Sanger=Blood (fried)
Komkomber=Cucumber
Funchi=Polenta (corn meal)
Kesio=Flan / Quesillo
Karko=Conch
Piska=Fish

Ooh, and don't forget that Papaya Moon has 2 for 1 Happy Hour everyday! They have the BEST
Mango Margaritas on the island IMO. :D :D

I'm very pleased that people are trying to stay on topic in this thread and not allowing it to be derailed. :)

Maine Diver, as the OP of this thread you have the right to ask a mod to remove anyone who is not following the guidelines of your request... Or, you can do as I have done and put people you don't want to see on your "Ignore" list. That being stated....

You MUST visit
Pasa Bon Pizza for the best American style pizza anywhere! (We haven't found a place with better pizza here in the USA)

Papaya Moon for some of the tastiest south of the boarder Texas-style fare. Excellent

Kabes ku Higra=Goat Brains and Liver
So who has the best goat brains and liver on the island, inquiring minds want to know? I can't get enough of those goat brains :popcorn:

Ooh, and don't forget that Papaya Moon has 2 for 1 Happy Hour everyday! They have the BEST
Mango Margaritas on the island IMO. :D :D

I'm very pleased that people are trying to stay on topic in this thread and not allowing it to be derailed. :)
I'll derail your Mango Margaritas with real Argentine steak and a nice Malbec at Casablanca or Patagonia, or drinking Brights and munching on Dutch bar snacks at City, or even an egg sandwich and coffee from Paradise.

I'm getting hungry and it's hours before dinner. Gotta turn my focus back to goat brains and liver, that'll do it!

Don't forget... Heineken is Pilsner on the island instead of the swill Lager we get in the states! It's smooth and tasty on Bonaire!

Thanks, my husband really loves taking the photos and I enjoy editing them. :) The only addition to the camera is a single strobe. Actually, it was taking the photo course with Tim at Fish Eye Photo that convinced my husband he HAD to have a strobe, so we wound up buying one from him on Bonaire.

In regards to your Christmas trip, we spend Christmas on Maui every year and although we'd really like to do the Big Island one year, the draw of being able to dive 4 islands (Lanai, Maui, Molokini, and Molokai) keeps us going back to Maui....well, that and the whales. :wink: The only real draw I can see of the Big Island is the Manta dive, which just isn't enough to over-ride the advantages of Maui in our minds. It all comes down to personal preference for sure, and I can totally understand the folks who prefer the Big Island.

If you decide to go to Maui, let me know and we'll have to try to hook up for a dive or a drink, or both! :D
Good point on Maui, I didn't think of it that way. What area do you stay in? Several years ago we styed to Hololani(sp?) condos. They were nice. I

Good point on Maui, I didn't think of it that way. What area do you stay in? Several years ago we styed to Hololani(sp?) condos. They were nice. I

We own a timeshare on Kaanapali beach so stay there for the first week, then move to Kihei and stay in a private hale (house). We do the vast majority of our diving with Ed Robinson's, driving down to Kihei each morning to catch the boat. To Lanai we go with Lahaina Divers since their big 46' Newton boats make the crossing very comfortable for us. We don't shore dive on Maui, though I understand it's pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom