12 days on Cebu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjgoodman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm thinking of a dive trip in February and Cebu is a front runner. I'd have 12 diving days and want to split that time between Dumaguete/Apo Island, Malapascua, and Moalboal.

How many days would folks recommend spending at each place?

Which two of those places are the most highly regarded? I'm looking for a mix of "the big stuff" and maco. A flamboyant cuttlefish sighting is a top priority.

Which dive operators do people recommend? Because I'm looking improve my UW Photo skills, an operator with great DMs and experience taking photographers out is preferred.

I'm rescue certified with 140 dives. The places I've dove include Bali, Komodo, Raja Ampat, Bunaken, Lembeh, Mozambique, South Africa and the Puget Sound. My hope is to dive at least 3 and preferable 4 times a day.

I look forward to hearing what people have to say. Thanks.

Hi there

You've picked three great locations - you probably want to spread your time evenly amongst them all! Flamboyants are a tall order. We had them in Malapascua last march so your timing is good.

Dumaguete / Dauin is not great for the big stuff, although there are turtles about. It is great for muck daving and the coral at Apo. I think February is a good time to spot Mimics and Wonderpus there. If you're looking for a smaller outfit with experience check out the imaginatively named Mike's Dauin Beach Resort.

Malapascua is famous for its Thresher Sharks and also has Pelagic Mantas - these are huge. Its great for Devil Rays also. Gato is a sure bet for bulky White Tips and big sea snakes. Then there is all the macro - crinoid shrimp, zebra crabs, cuttlefish, pipefish, frogfish etc.

I've been to Moalboal also, it was the least favourite of the three locations for me but then I missed the famous sardines - I'll let others tell you about there.

Enjoy!

Did Apo Island, Dauin, Bohol in May/June. Good for macro mostly, but Apo Island may have bigger thing. I just didn't look for any.

Apo Island was my favorite, stayed 2 weeks.
Dauin less interesting, left after less than week. As mentioned, Mike's Resort is good. It's a small operation.
Bohol nice, stayed a week.

If I had only 12 days, I'd split between Apo Island and Dauin. You'll waste a day getting from one to the other. Ferry runs between the two areas.

Malapascua and Moalboal will be my suggestion.
I will go to Malapascua first because it involves a boat journey. If you leave the island early in the morning, you should be able to reach Moalboal late in the afternoon even by using public transport.
Private transfer from Cebu to Malapascua is a hefty US$110.00 one way!!!!

best best for a flamboyant cuttlefish is dauin in dumaguete. saw several there in my last two trips (including the one in my profile pic).

I think that you can create an easy itinerary and include all three places.. Especially if you start in Malapascua, make your way to Moalboal then to Apo or Dauin. On my travels through the Philippines I have only been disapointed with the quality of my DM once(another story). The trick is to be very specific with what you want to experience when you are setting up your dives.

If you want specific advice concerning Moalboal, Feel free to email me at:
R o g e r d i v e s "a t" g m a i l "dot" c o m ...

Cheers,
Roger

I'd allow 3-4 days min for Malapascua. The threshers are there everyday, but not everyone sees them every day - check out Thresher Shark Divers......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom