12 boys lost in flooded Thai cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Again, I wonder why there is no talk of excavating where the restrictions are and widening the space. Has that already been dismissed (cave in; too hard to get equipment)? Has anyone heard anything about that at all?
They've been doing that where able. It's pretty difficult to chisel away rocks in tiny spaces underwater in a cave kilometers from the exit, especially with little if any visability and water flowing. Plus you dont want to make things worse.

The remaining danger, Lanet expalined, is that monsoon season is just starting and, once in full swing, water levels inside the cave network will rise and *could* fill the chamber where the boys have taken shelter.

They should focus on pump rate capacity maybe

Getting 02 in, liquid sustenance, communications might be a top priority

There's video of the restrictions on various news sites. At least one is very small, no-mount, and ugly.
Johnny, any underwater video links? All I've seen is above water views. Very curious for underwater video.

Some type of isolating foam insulation to barrier off their space, I’ve seen it used in construction

The possibility of pressurizing a confined cavity
The logistics of getting the equipment to where they are make it unrealistic. While some foams can prevent water from passing through the material it won't prevent hydrostatic pressure tearing it apart. There would a lot of other issues.

Two old videos:
Canadian CBS from July 3rd. No mount restriction near boys, then 30meter 'straight up', might not mean 30m depth.

CNN interview with Ben Reymenants, one of those on site, also old, Jul 3rd:

Being small has nothing to do with it. An MRI is a tube. These restrictions are not.

Look at this video. Starting about 1 minute in is a restriction. Tell me you could fit a stretcher through there.

This is NOT the cave in Thailand. This is a nice open water training site, not in the overhead, and with immediate access to the surface. Thailand is much more serious than this.

Here's another good video showing what a no-mount restriction looks like.

Wow! Bunch of nutty no-mount divers! No stinkin' fins needed in those dives :D

How would you turn around when the restriction ahead is in-passable? Your dive buddy behind you pull your feet out of the hole?

Stupid question but is that the same route they got in there?

Who would do that

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom