12 boys lost in flooded Thai cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another clarification:
For those who of course blame the coach for bringing the kids into the cave: The warning sign outside the cave clearly warn about danger July to November both in Thai and English. They entered the cave 23-June.

Bet that sign will be changed to June soon. What a cock-up, really
Source: www.nationmultimedia.com/img/photos/2018/July/5/043432a35e27a17b2731f9e9c31ed33c.

043432a35e27a17b2731f9e9c31ed33c.jpe

Reactions: Jay
MikeyIdea, it sounded to me like the deceased Thai diver, wasn't going all the way to the boys since he was dropping stages. Possibly this accounts for the time difference.

Last edited:
The Guardian, and several outlets, are reporting that oxygen levels have in fact dropped to 15%. In addition, the area has already had one heavy downpour lasting 5 minutes and more is on the way.

I hope authorities seize this small window of opportunity today and try to bring at least some of the boys out. It seems (albeit with the incomplete/inaccurate info we have) the best of the terrible options at this point. It looks like that may be the plan: "Late last night Chiang Rai Governor Narongsak Osottanakorn said they will try to begin bringing out the boys – a dangerous operation, but the most viable option at this point."

The Guardian is quoting Thai authorities as saying: “We originally thought the boys can stay safe inside the cave for quite some time but circumstances have changed. We have limited amount of time.”

Did the Governor say that before or after the death of the Thai diver?

Please explain more fully. I'm not a cave diver and haven't been super curious about the gear used since the DIR wars abated. In those days, DIR was totally against side mount. Go figure

I can't really tell what the divers are using and would appreciate your take and especially that of any cave divers here.

Speculation in response is fine with me.

Thanks.

Please read the following in the knowledge I'm not, do not claim to be, nor have any ambition to be a cave diver.

The British cultural mentality will be to use the gear that works for that job, rather than the DIR method of "generally standardised" equipment.

Obviously it's benefitted from continuous development

upload_2018-7-6_11-30-46.png

Wookey Hole 1935 Penelope Powell (left) and Graham Balcombe (right)

In large caves, then then equipment will be similar or the same as other places, Rebreather, backmount twins or conventional side mount.

When it gets a bit tricky with lots of restrictions they favour the Explorer Harness
upload_2018-7-6_11-35-16.png

A simple and basic but robust SM harness.

Regulators favoured is the Poseidon Cyklon because it's built like a tank

upload_2018-7-6_11-38-1.png

On the Pictures of the UK Rescue team in Thailand you'll see them wearing the above gear

Wings are optional depending on the "gig" but are fitted in a way to make them quickly removable using fast equipment clips

(possibly called suicide clips in the US)

See here: no wings fitted

upload_2018-7-6_11-43-10.png

Bream Mines, Forest of Dean.

Not all caves are this big

upload_2018-7-6_11-46-10.png

And here is another real life example demonstration where "easily" removing the gear can be required

upload_2018-7-6_11-48-8.png

upload_2018-7-6_11-55-13.png

upload_2018-7-6_11-52-6.png

All images from www.farrworld.co.uk

EDIT: The term "easily" has been put in parenthesis as this is relative

Farrworld is run by Martyn Farr who is well known within the (UK) cave diving community and the author of a number of books on the subject

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-6_11-49-33.png
    upload_2018-7-6_11-49-33.png
    160.1 KB · Views: 86
  • upload_2018-7-6_11-50-3.png
    upload_2018-7-6_11-50-3.png
    150.5 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
And here is another real life example demonstration where easily removing the gear can be required

First, thanks for taking the time to post all those images. Should clarify somewhat things for non cave divers. But with all due respect, I think your use of the term "....easily remove gear" is the wrong terminology here. There is nothing 'easy' about removing gear u/w in zero vis and squirming through tight restrictions.

But as you point out, and as I said earlier re the various diving gear set-ups, "what works. works"! In this situation screw DIR, etc. (Ouch, I hear the howls of protest already.)

First, thanks for taking the time to post all those images. Should clarify somewhat things for non cave divers. But with all due respect, I think your use of the term "....easily remove gear" is the wrong terminology here. There is nothing 'easy' about removing gear u/w in zero vis and squirming through tight restrictions.

But as you point out, and as I said earlier re the various diving gear set-ups, "what works. works"! In this situation screw DIR, etc. (Ouch, I hear the howls of protest already.)
Thanks for the comment. Edit made

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom