12 boys lost in flooded Thai cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Navy SEAL dies while rescuing Thai schoolboys trapped in cave

A FORMER Thai Navy SEAL has died during the rescue operation to save 12 boys and their soccer coach trapped inside a flooded cave.

Authorities have confirmed the diver’s death was caused by lack of oxygen, and the man died while making his way out of the cave complex where the group is trapped.

The man has been identified as retired Navy Petty Officer 1st Class Saman Kunan who volunteered for the operation after having left his post.

The rescuer lost consciousness after placing oxygen tanks in the cave and could not be revived despite first-aid attempts by his dive partner.

Authorities say the cave system, Mae Sai, northern Thailand, is losing oxygen as they continue to try and deliver air supplies to the kids and coach through a pipe.

They say the ventilation pipe must reach them today.

The level of oxygen in the cave where the boys are trapped has dropped to 15 per cent, authorities have confirmed. The usual level is around 21 per cent.

Asked how long that would last the boys, deputy commander Chalongchai Chaiyakham replied: “I’m not a medical person, I can’t answer that.”

At a news conference Thai SEAL commander Arpakorn Yookongkaew acknowledged time is running out.

“We can no longer wait for all conditions (to be ready) because the circumstance is pressuring us,” Arpakorn said.

“We originally thought the boys can stay safe inside the cave for quite some time but circumstances have changed. We have limited amount of time.”

Bummer! Condolences.

Information on the former Navy SEAL who died.
Former Petty Officer 1st class Samarn Kunun, 38, was certified with the special operations of SEAL but resigned and was currently working for the Airports Authority of Thailand (not known how long ago he left SEAL). He and a buddy were assigned to transfer tanks to where the kids are stranded. Thai news say he transferred 3 tanks (not one like CNN report). The information is a bit vague at this stage but I understood it as he and the buddy had 3 tanks each. That must have been incredibly tough, is it even possible? We have to wait for confirmation if it was 3 tanks each or 3 tanks between the two. The diver left 8.30pm July 5th and died at approximately 1am July 6th. He became unconscious under the water, his buddy performed CPR with no effect.

Information is vague and doesn't 100% add up at this stage. It was said that he died approximately 4.5 hours after he set out. The trip to the boys is said to take 5-6 hours one way and he died on his way back. Thai news report that he became unconscious under water, not that he ran out of air

We all hope for the best. Best thing we can do is let people "on the ground" asses situation and make decisions accordingly.OK, not that we can make much of influence there,but still, let the people on scene do what they think is best.

Does anyone here really think that anyone on the ground in T'land is looking up this forum to see if we have any better ideas than they do? I don't think so!

@MikeyIdea
Myself and several others have carried 3 or more tanks on a cave dive, it some cases it's very normal for us. There's not enough info in the reports to know what happened other than he was apparently setting stage bottles for other divers. Caves can be very unforgiving, even to those with proper cave training and experience.

Rest In Peace Samarn Kunun

- Jeff

Australian news is reporting a Thai navy diver has died in the cave system. Quoting “ from a lack of oxygen”.
May his sacrifice not be in vain
RIP hero

As you say, a hero he was! RIP!!

But again, as I mentioned earlier, here is an example of the ambivalence left when a reporter uses (misuses?) the term 'oxygen'. That is, does he really mean oxygen or does he simply mean air? That is, did he run out of air whilst diving (or die from a health related issue whilst underwater), or did he die from lack of oxygen in a (small) enclosed chamber in the cave ?

From the little I have read it is whilst actually underwater diving, presumably, repeat presumably, from running out of air, but please don't hesitate - as I know you won't - to correct me if I'm wrong.

PS. I note in one of the photos from one of the newspapers what seems to be a pile of what we Down Under would call (large) 'G' size cylinders of actual Oxygen stacked outside they cave. Has there been any talk, now that O2 levels are dropping in the boys chamber, of actually pumping O2 into the chamber - or even just taking smaller (scuba size) cylinders in for them to breathe from? As yes, with all the 'new' folks coming / going / staying in that chamber the O2 level must certainly be dropping and the Co2 level rising.

Unfortunately this operation is getting more hazardous by the day (hour?) and the options seem to be fast running out.

Last edited:
I stumbled upon:

This is from a couple of days ago but really has some excellent footage of conditions at the entrance area plus.

@MikeyIdea
Myself and several others have carried 3 or more tanks on a cave dive, it some cases it's very normal for us. There's not enough info in the reports to know what happened other than he was apparently setting stage bottles for other divers. Caves can be very unforgiving, even to those with proper cave training and experience.

Rest In Peace Samarn Kunun

- Jeff
Thank you for that confirmation. The Thai language is less exact than English in some areas (time is one, Thai's are nearly always late :)) and more exact in others (especially feelings). Then the former Navy SEAL who died did transfer 3 tanks on the 5 hour hike. Amazing, I do not have the physics to do that. I am full of admiration

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom