11 y/o Surfaces with Convulsions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boy airlifted following dive incident in good condition at hospital

An 11-year-old Rochester, Minnesota boy airlifted to Miami Tuesday morning following a dive incident at Looe Key Reef is in stable condition and is expected to make a full recovery.

The Sheriff’s Office was notified at approximately 10:49 a.m. that the boy was diving in 20 feet of water with family and a divemaster with a commercial dive boat out of Captain Hook’s Marina and Dive Center. They were in the water approximately 35 minutes.

Everyone surfaced. The boy blacked out and began convulsing. He was conscious and breathing.

The boy was flown via Trauma Star to Nicklaus Children’s Hospital in Miami.

Have to say, thats a tough decision - people taking kids that young diving. I get it, pop wants to dive and it’s tough skipping diving, or dealing with the guilt of leaving the kid behind. And sure, many kids can and do dive safely at a very young age, but why couldn’t it wait until they were just 5 years older?
Diving with your child is a great experience, not just something to do out of convenience or guilt -- one of the most enjoyable things I do underwater is watch my son enthusiastically explore nature. Yet it really depends on the kid -- their maturity, their ability to focus and attention to detail, their desire to learn, etc. My son got certified at 13, but if circumstances (money, travel, etc.) had been different I could see him getting certified at a younger age. In many ways he was mature for his age, had good focus & attention to detail, and he was really enthusiastic about learning. On the other hand, my daughter (who is 2 years older) is great but really was not interested in getting certified, so I did not want to push her and felt she might not be as motivated to really focus and learn what was needed to be safe. My son is now 16 and has been a great dive buddy. I know the adventures we have shared while diving have been priceless.

I'm new to diving but I grew up diving to the bottom of swimming pools and I'm not aware anyone got hurt doing it. It's actually required in Life Guard training I believe. Where I live in the boonies people do crazy stuff like jump off cliffs into lakes and I'm sure you go down to at least 15 feet under the water. I've only jumped from 40 feet but others go much higher.

I'm calling shenanigans on AGE from 17 feet.

There's a HUGE difference between ascending with the air you brought down with you in your lungs and air you breathed in at depth. E.g., the air in your lungs at 30' while freediving is half the volume of the air in your lungs at 30' that you just breathed in off of your scuba tank. The freediver can safely ascend while holding his breath. Were the scuba diver to do the same, he would surely encounter an AGE, as the volume of the air in his lungs doubled.

Your lungs cannot handle a doubling of volume. Heck, they can only only a very small amount of expansion. Namely, 1.5 psi of overpressure. You can get AGE from ascending on compressed air from as shallow as four feet.

Far from "shananigans," it's a call for you to review your scuba training.

Your lungs cannot handle a doubling of volume. Heck, they can only only a very small amount of expansion. Namely, 1.5 psi of overpressure.

Just to be clear for other readers who may not even be certified yet, your lungs can't handle doubling of volume from near your maximum inhalation cycle. The volume can easily double on some people going from the top of their normal inhalation cycle to their maximum voluntary inhalation. People can measure changes in their volume with a graduated plastic jug and a short hose in a swimming pool.

A simple way to remember how fragile our lungs are is your alveoli's membrane is only one very small cell thick.

full.png

It is amazing that we don't blow our lungs out by sneezing!

Thank you for your explanation. It’s still a lot of “ifs” but of course that is a possibility.

Right, but remember that the point of this forum isn’t to conduct a legal deposition and determine what happened in this specific accident. With rare exceptions, we never find that out.

The purpose of this forum is to discuss dive safety with the case as a jumping off point, and to learn from each other. I have learned a lot here, I think it’s a great resource even though we almost never find the “truth”.

I'm new to diving but I grew up diving to the bottom of swimming pools and I'm not aware anyone got hurt doing it. It's actually required in Life Guard training I believe. Where I live in the boonies people do crazy stuff like jump off cliffs into lakes and I'm sure you go down to at least 15 feet under the water. I've only jumped from 40 feet but others go much higher.

I'm calling shenanigans on AGE from 17 feet.
Your examples are irrelevant. In none of those examples do you take a breath of pressurized air and then ascend. You might want to look up what AGE is and its causes. It is NOT DCS, and has nothing to do with it.

Right, but remember that the point of this forum isn’t to conduct a legal deposition and determine what happened in this specific accident. With rare exceptions, we never find that out.

The purpose of this forum is to discuss dive safety with the case as a jumping off point, and to learn from each other. I have learned a lot here, I think it’s a great resource even though we almost never find the “truth”.
That’s true. In case my original point was lost, I was trying to rule out likely causes, which is related to diving safety, no? I do root cause analysis for a living and one of the first steps to an investigation is to rule out what you can and then do a deep dive on everything left. You also use the probability of something happening instead of going down the rabbit hole to chase after something that’s possible but highly improbable. How probable is DCS? Not very. How probable is oxygen toxicity? Not very probable either. How probable is AGE? That I don’t know. And that is something I would investigate.

I’ve learned a lot here too and find the discussions educational

Back
Top Bottom