1000 Lumen Dive Light - SORRY :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm accumulating too many partially discharged alkalynes so have to give 'em a try.

That's the thing I don't like about this light. My other light is the Trust Fire Tr-J1 which is also a Cree XM-L T6 light. The difference is it uses a single 18650 battery. With the TR-J1 I charge a single cell instead of three cells and I get the same run time. For my DRIS 1000, I bought 6 Energizer NiMH C (AA capacity) and use three in one dive and three in another.

I wish I had a Lithium Ion battery pack that fit in the DRIS 1000. Then it would rock.

I wish I had a Lithium Ion battery pack that fit in the DRIS 1000. Then it would rock.

Funny, I just about typed that into the other DRIS Light thread about adding a rechargeable battery that would be different but similar to a canister light's battery to my wish list. That would be great.....expensive but great.

I'm a bit leary of LiIon batteries under water. Don't want them to get wet and go all 787 on me.:D

I'm still LOVING my Shorty, but I have to keep a tight watch on it. My buddies keep edging their sticky little fingers toward it after they see it in action!

Funny, I just about typed that into the other DRIS Light thread about adding a rechargeable battery that would be different but similar to a canister light's battery to my wish list. That would be great.....expensive but great.

why get expensive? just buy some 2800mah AAA's from a reputable manufacturer.

of course in reality, LED lights just don't "eat up batteries". Regular Duracell/Energizer is cheaper and will last just as long if not longer.

why get expensive? just buy some 2800mah AAA's from a reputable manufacturer.

I figure (notice I did not say "I know" :D)you would get a larger battery in the large single cell therefore increasing burn time. That would be worth "a cost" to me. It all depends on how much but if I can get a day of diving from a light without having to open it in between dives, I am happier.

Don't get me wrong.....I am not in any way complaining about the lights as they are today. This is just an option that I would be interested in hearing about.

I figure (notice I did not say "I know" :D)you would get a larger battery in the large single cell therefore increasing burn time.

I think that would be most likely true.

That would be worth "a cost" to me.

define "a cost" ? (for the engineered battery pack?)

this light was $60 when I got it new. How much would it be to engineer and produce (at low volume) for the dive industry? I think it will cause this $60-$89 light to cost 3-4 times as much.

It all depends on how much but if I can get a day of diving from a light without having to open it in between dives, I am happier.

have you had to change batteries in this light between two dives in a day?

I've got batteries in my two that are 6+ months old. Now given I'm not out diving in the 30 degree air temps, but they get used 2-3 times a week when the wife goes out to round her her pets. she likes these lights better than the "walmart cheap ones"

Don't get me wrong.....I am not in any way complaining about the lights as they are today. This is just an option that I would be interested in hearing about.

agreed. it would be interesting.

Might be worth researched to see if you could built a custom battery pack for it. We've built them before at work for specialized items. The batteries themselves aren't that expensive. It's getting the right ones ordered and figuring out what you need, soldering tabs and wires... making a wiring harness, etc.

I thought my previous posts were clear that I have yet to dive my lights. I am basing comments from several people in the various threads about the reduced battery life in the shorty and the fact that the waters I dive can be as cold as mid thirties and that on a good weekend I am doing 3 or 4 dives per day......this is why I would be interested. I am in no position to do the battery.....but similar to the goodman handle made by Brandon, would be interested in hearing about it if somebody came up with one. I cannot name my price.....but I would know it if a price named was too high for me. My lights were ~$100 so my increase would be less :D.

When I posted it I was really just spitballing.....not expecting anything to ever come of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom