1000 Lumen Dive Light - SORRY :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike, I have some weird stuff going on with one of my lights. I have four of them, plus got my buddies to buy a couple as well so I have a decent sampling to realize something is strange. The other night I was on a night dive and had two of them on my harness. I loaned the other two out, and my friends had theirs. One of the ones on my harness kept turning on by itself. It would not turn on full power though. It was a ting like it had two power settings. I would twist it a little and it would get bright. When I turned it off again it would stay off for a while and then turn back on to a not so bright setting. It was screwed way off as well. To the point I could see the first oring. I would have to screw it down a few turns to get it to come on fully, and even then once I started screwing it back in, it would turn off. I also noticed that it was getting some type of build up on it underwater. Small spots that would have looked like dried up salt water if I had. it been underwater. You could feel them as bumps all over the light. They would brush off with a little scrubbing, but would be back in ten minutes. Now the light has spots all over it where it looks like the finish is missing. Any ideas? None of the other 7 lights in the water did this. I could not replicate the low beam setting on dry land either.

Holds it's own pretty good :)

To say the least ... funny how many of my students are showing up with this light all of a sudden ... they seem to think it's a nice, inexpensive primary.

One of 'em's even built his own goodman handle ... said he'd build me one next ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have use mine now on 4 dives. As with everyone else, its pretty bright, but maybe 2x my 200Lumnen (not doubting the measurement, just my subjective judgement). Its now my primary and although its bigger then my intova backup, its smaller than the pistol grip lights that are the alternative for the "no way can I afford a can light crowd". It still clips on my harness and stays out of the way when I don't need it. As a bonus, its so solid that I could use it as a defense weapon (club) in a tight spot.

Up until now it seemed like the trend was that it costed about $1.00 per lumen in lights.
I saw lights that had 220 lumens and they were about $220.00.
This is with higher quality lights with aluminum bodies...generally speaking.
This new DRIS light blows all of that out of the park.
I've only used it on one dive so far so for me I'm still testing it to see how it holds up to normal use.
I hope it holds up, I have not had good luck with lights in the past and I want this to work and last.

This inovation has had to send the other companies scrambling. I don't see how it couldn't.

Mike, I have some weird stuff going on with one of my lights. I have four of them, plus got my buddies to buy a couple as well so I have a decent sampling to realize something is strange. The other night I was on a night dive and had two of them on my harness. I loaned the other two out, and my friends had theirs. One of the ones on my harness kept turning on by itself. It would not turn on full power though. It was a ting like it had two power settings. I would twist it a little and it would get bright. When I turned it off again it would stay off for a while and then turn back on to a not so bright setting. It was screwed way off as well. To the point I could see the first oring. I would have to screw it down a few turns to get it to come on fully, and even then once I started screwing it back in, it would turn off. I also noticed that it was getting some type of build up on it underwater. Small spots that would have looked like dried up salt water if I had. it been underwater. You could feel them as bumps all over the light. They would brush off with a little scrubbing, but would be back in ten minutes. Now the light has spots all over it where it looks like the finish is missing. Any ideas? None of the other 7 lights in the water did this. I could not replicate the low beam setting on dry land either.

James, just send it back with a note and we will look at it and see what is going on. Feel free to email or PM me for more info :wink:

Great. I will do just that. Thanks.

Just got back from 3 days in the Channel Islands. Steady 10-15 ft green viz (and less some times), and overcast most of the time. Did a 100ft morning dive that might as well have been a night dive. This light was absolutely great for this kind of diving. The center spot is good enough for signalling and peeking into the rocks and crevices, and the flood lights up the walls nicely. Easily the brightest non-canister out there on this trip.

I too got to use mine this weekend and while they were day dives with better vis than you had, I can tell you I am impressed with this light......especially considering the price point.

Awwww yeah going to give mine a try tomorrow morning. Can't wait

I too got to use mine this weekend and while they were day dives with better vis than you had, I can tell you I am impressed with this light......especially considering the price point.

Exactly- A great light, a great price, uses C-cells (although the AA to C converters do not fit :sad:) so has a long burn time, and built like a tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom