1000 Lumen Dive Light - SORRY :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know what version of the 1000 I have (an "interesting" lanyard came with it), but it is slightly longer than the the 500, 2 o-rings in the head, and has a slightly modified handle (different knurls). As to the beam, I can see a pretty fair difference in terms of beam intensity (whiter), and a little more spread/spill (not a significant amount - its good). Maybe too much light for clear water, but it should have a nice punch here in the deeper fresh water diving. I'm just not ready or willing financially for can lights, so this is a wonderful option. As others have said, its use out of water adds versatility.

Now, along with a decent "Goodman" type handle or semi rigid light sock, what about a smaller (shorter) version running on multiple AA or AAA battery "cartridges" (1 or 2 sets)? Awesome for a light sock.

I got to try mine out last saturday at Lake Pleasant's Vista point. I took it to 85' along the boat ramp in 10 - 15' vis. It projected a nice tight piercing beam that I'd never seen from small hand held backup light before and would not have expected had I not seen it myself. Given the relatively low cost, It made me start to think of the posibility of setting up a light bar that would allow multiple heads to thread on and connect to a rechargable cannister via gland.

So I got to try out the 500lumen version on a nights dive in Thailand. My can light was just too bright, it kind of spoiled it for everyone, and people on the other side of thwe site said they knew whe i was at all times. So I switched to this backup light. Same problem, it's just too bright for a night dive in clear water. I ended up swimming around with three fingers over the front and just letting a crack of light out. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

... It made me start to think of the posibility of setting up a light bar that would allow multiple heads to thread on and connect to a rechargable cannister via gland.

See, an "umbilical" accessory would be great. And in the next upgraded version throw in a few light levels using voltage control, not PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) :D

Well I'm back from Coz and the 1000 lumen was the hit of the trip. All my buds had light envy. Granted it was a bit much for the clear waters of Coz for lighting up critters and such, but it sure came in handy when a fellow diver was taking his sweet time with photos during a night dive. Yes, it got his attention.
The only light I found on the trip that put out more light was my cenote guides cannister light.
Nice light DRIS.

nice to know about new inventions in the field of scuba dives and we surely need like to create new revolution in terms of safety of divers. I would love to see dive lights which we can use as a communication torch under water. Communication Torch will be a great invention for Scuba Divers.

nice to know about new inventions in the field of scuba dives and we surely need like to create new revolution in terms of safety of divers. I would love to see dive lights which we can use as a communication torch under water. Communication Torch will be a great invention for Scuba Divers.

Every underwater light is a means of divers communicating (conditions permitting). This is not new. What type of functionality are you talking about specifically adding?

I finally got my DRIS light and took it for a test run this weekend. The light is big....no question. But it is bright and feels solid. My dives were daytime dives with excellent visibility so it got turned on just for the heck of it and turned back off. For the cost of this light, I say it is a heck of a deal.

Reactions: Jax
I got to use the light for the first time underwater last Saturday.
Excellent light!!
Vis was about 10 feet, the usual murky green.
I really lit up cracks and underhangs well.
Certainly the brightest light I've used yet.
Great Job!

Well, for those who want to see what this light looks like underwater, click the link below for a video. At about the 1:00 mark I'm swimming with the DRIS backup light in my left hand and a 21W Salvo can light in my right hand. This is in a fresh water lake at about 80 ffw, with about 20-foot vis.

Lake WA Landing Craft & PBM Mariner on Vimeo

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, for those who want to see what this light looks like underwater, click the link below for a video. At about the 1:00 mark I'm swimming with the DRIS backup light in my left hand and a 21W Salvo can light in my right hand. This is in a fresh water lake at about 80 ffw, with about 20-foot vis.

Lake WA Landing Craft & PBM Mariner on Vimeo

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Holds it's own pretty good :)

Back
Top Bottom