100% O2 During Rest Intervals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So breathing pure O2 is pretty much a placebo effect. Placebo effects are really strong so they are not to be sneezed at.

But now that I know last night’s “freshening” effect was just perception, I put my deco bottle back in the rack in the SCUBA van.

Great insight from you guys….very grateful.

Due to the lower atmospheric pressure at elevation, the equivalent %O2 at 5000 feet is 17.3%...

I would like a medical expert to explain how this works.

I had some serious surgery a while ago, and I was on home oxygen for a while. As I recovered, I needed less and less to function. After a while, I was only using it at night, only 2 liters a minute. I absolutely needed it, though. I tried going without it, and when I did, I would wake up at night in a panic, take my pulse oxygen reading, and find it in the low to mid 80s.

As I approached a planned month-long trip while still using 2L per night, I expressed my reservations to my doctor. He explained that those nissing 2L of O2 per night would be compensated for by the fact that I was going from my normal mile-high elevation to sea level. Sure enough. the night before I left was done without that oxygen, and it was brutal for me. The first night at sea level was just fine.
Perhaps you were also relatively anemic after your surgery, contributing to your shortness of breath. I'm assuming you have no underlying lung disease or had a complication after your surgery.

Back
Top Bottom