100% O2 During Rest Intervals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NothingClever

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So, I’m blessed that Santa Claus brought me (53 y/o) a resting heart rate of 51bpm while sleeping and 56bpm while sitting during the day*.

I‘m starting to train for a half century on my Concept2 ergs and that can get pretty boring. My 100% oxygen deco bottle was just under 100 bar (not enough to save for a team dive) so I thought I’d goof around and observe the effect of breathing 100% oxygen during my 2:00 minute rest intervals. That really turned out to only be 1:30 minutes of O2 since I had to drink water, dry my hands, spin up the flywheel before starting my work interval, etc.

I assumed my heart rate would drop noticeably faster coming off a work interval and immediately getting onto O2 while practicing intentional deep breathing. That turned out to be an incorrect assumption. This led to a second assumption that the diffusion and perfusion effects simply aren’t instantaneous.

What I did observe is I felt a lot fresher getting back into each work interval such that I picked up my pace without hesitation and I noticed that while my HR rose to about the same level (as without the aid of O2 during a rest interval), it took longer to get there. I had already completed a pretty brisk 6,000m workout before I integrated the O2 into my second workout so I think the two observations were genuine rather than psychological. However, I concede that while my home gym is pretty comprehensive, it‘s not an exercise physiology laboratory with the aid of experienced and impartial physiologists.

While it was fun, I’m not inclined to make this a habit. When I rank myself globally, I want to know I’m ranking myself honestly. And breathing O2 during my work intervals would be the ultimate in counter-productive training so there’s a 0% chance of that ever happening.

Anyways, I couldn’t find any data here in the fitness sub-forum so I thought I’d post my observations as a reference point.

*My RHR while sleeping is according to my Garmin devices and Garmin admits their wrist-readings tend to be a bit high. I’m thinking with a chest belt I’ll probably be right at 48-49bpm. The daytime RHR is from my doctor’s office. For the providers on the board, my doctor is confident I’m not suffering from bradycardia. For the layperson, bradycardia is an unusually low HR, typically anything less than 60bpm.

Lol it sounds more like diligent work than Santa bringing you those nice HR stats. I usually do a chest strap for overnight readings because of the improved accuracy.

Thanks for sharing your data point on pure O2.

Hi @NothingClever

Your hemoglobin is nearly fully saturated breathing room air (21%). Usual saturation in healthy people is often 97-99%, with > 95% considered normal. Supplemental oxygen does not increase available O2 in a significant way. On the other hand, increasing your hemoglobin, exercise at altitude, transfusion, erythropoietin... increases oxygen availability and delivery.

Your hemoglobin is nearly fully saturated breathing room air (21%).

I wonder exactly what "fully saturated" means (sincere question)? Considering the indirect and implied nature of the technology used by pulse oximeters, could that mean approximately 100% saturated at 21% and one atmosphere?

We know that Oxygen "supersaturation" occurs during HBOTs with PPO2s up to 2.8 ATA. We also know that diluent removal increases at 1.0 versus 0.21 PPO2. Perhaps there is also something about higher Oxygen levels that changes how CO2 functions?

Come to think of it, how is Oxygen saturation measured in a lab? I know the Navy took a lot of blood from us in the early days of saturation diving, but I wasn't smart enough to look over their shoulders to see what they were doing with it. :mad:

There is someone who can probably enlighten me: @Duke Dive Medicine

I would like a medical expert to explain how this works.

I had some serious surgery a while ago, and I was on home oxygen for a while. As I recovered, I needed less and less to function. After a while, I was only using it at night, only 2 liters a minute. I absolutely needed it, though. I tried going without it, and when I did, I would wake up at night in a panic, take my pulse oxygen reading, and find it in the low to mid 80s.

As I approached a planned month-long trip while still using 2L per night, I expressed my reservations to my doctor. He explained that those nissing 2L of O2 per night would be compensated for by the fact that I was going from my normal mile-high elevation to sea level. Sure enough. the night before I left was done without that oxygen, and it was brutal for me. The first night at sea level was just fine.

< runs off to Google library to research ethical and/or natural ways to increase hemoglobin or erythropoietin >

Well of course not a medical expert but I..... believe its an easy answer.

At altitude where i used to live 90- 92% wasnt looked at as uncommon but would not be great at sea level. The reason was that we didn't ever get 21% O2 like our sea level living friends. But we got other perks like not getting hypoxic as easily at altitudes that I personally witnessed that made other travelers lips turn blue. Similar to why people that do high altitude mountaineering spend some time acclimatizing to base camp altitudes O2 levels.

My... guess would be that since you live at altitude coming down to sea level your regular daily saturation went up by 3-10% due to actually receiving sea levels 21% O2 which would make a world of difference.
I would like a medical expert to explain how this works.

I had some serious surgery a while ago, and I was on home oxygen for a while. As I recovered, I needed less and less to function. After a while, I was only using it at night, only 2 liters a minute. I absolutely needed it, though. I tried going without it, and when I did, I would wake up at night in a panic, take my pulse oxygen reading, and find it in the low to mid 80s.

As I approached a planned month-long trip while still using 2L per night, I expressed my reservations to my doctor. He explained that those nissing 2L of O2 per night would be compensated for by the fact that I was going from my normal mile-high elevation to sea level. Sure enough. the night before I left was done without that oxygen, and it was brutal for me. The first night at sea level was just fine.

Hemoglobin saturation means that the hemoglobin molecule has fully bound to oxygen. Hemoglobin changes color when bound with O2, so heme saturation is really easy to measure. As said above, at sea level in healthy people, their hemoglobin saturation coming out of the lungs is over 95% and usually more like 98%. So breathing pure O2 is pretty much a placebo effect. Placebo effects are really strong so they are not to be sneezed at.

Many thanks to @scubadada and @PatW .

Updated my online workout log with some of the insight here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom