100' before aow... how and why?

I exceeded depth limitations as a novice diver because:

• The DM/Instructor/Guide/Mentor went deeper unplanned and I followed.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • The DM/Instructor/Guide/Mentor briefed the dive and told me I would be fine.

Votes: 14 15.4%
  • The DM/Instructor/Guide planned the dive and confirmed I had the right ability level.

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • With another novice diver, we calculated the dive plan and agreed those limits.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • With another novice diver, we went deeper than we planned.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • With another novice diver, we didn't plan - we used computers.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I dove deeper with an instructor on a training course (i.e. AOW)

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • With more experienced diver, we calculated the dive plan and agreed those limits.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • With more experienced diver, we went deeper than we planned.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • With more experienced diver, we didn't plan - we used computers.

Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didnt vote in the poll, becuase I didnt find the correct answer.

There are no limits in diving. Dive as deep as you want. There are no scuba police. 132 feet isnt different than 129.

Anyone diving to unplanned depths is probably going to "run out of luck" before they fill that other bag full of tricks (skills).

Actually the PADI requirement is "Adventure Diver", which may mean AOW or not. I'm a little unclear about that but I think "adventure" is a step towards AOW.
Well, my last class in any of that was over 11 years ago, so no current idea of what they do no. EAN was definitely not an AOW option.

Kind of wonder at the wisdom of much rescue technique in OW training. Seems the new divers will be task loaded plenty without the added stress. If the Rescue instructor stresses you as hard as mine did, you best be already comfortable in the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've looked for my 1989 vintage NASDS book but can't locate it. As I recall, there wasn't as much emphasis put on the diving depth as there was on the depth from which you could reasonably make an emergency free ascent, which was suggested to be 60'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom