10 yr old Wreck Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was an amazing video. It scared me watching it, but honestly the kid is a way more accomplished diver than I am so who would I be to criticize?

We are just getting into the sport. I hope to see something like that someday but I think we'll just look in from the outside. :wink:

I was also looking at those laws and they are a little confusing, but I think it is safe to say that that it is a very good idea for everyone to wear a lifejacket in a small boat like that. Its hard to tell from the video, but it is possible that they may have recently got out of the water and he had not immediately put on the lifejacket which is not a big deal in my mind.

I see you are from Calgary so you may not have an idea of how hot and uncomfortable a lifejacket can be in 95 degrees and 90% humidity weather.

My daughter has been on my boats since she was an infant and always had a life jacket but once she became a competant swimmer I would let her remove it once we were out of sight of any marine patrols. Only once when we were caught in severe weather (tropical storm force wind and waves) did I have her put it back on along with everyone else in the boat.

I think it's great to share diving with our kids..

My daughter is almost AOW certified.

My biggest issue here is that a Certified Instructor is basically snubbing his nose at Agency Standards in a very public forum (well two actually) and I feel that's irresponsible.

I would never interfere with anyone teaching their kid anything they want AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T PUT OTHERS AT RISK.

I just feel a known instructor publicly demonstrating a lack of respect for the agency he's certified to instruct under/for is dangerous and sends a bad message.

I wish my Dad had tried to share his interests with me at an early age.

@DD, even though I've been one of the more critical posters in this thread I hope you understand the angle I'm coming from. Tons of respect that you're spending so much quality time with your son, from one parent to another.

only watched the 1st minute or so but the the kid seems to be very overweighted----crawling over the wreck etc-----also, the photographer seems drunk....qan accident waiting to happen....

I have dived the Palm Beach wrecks and the Gulf stream comes within a mile or two of the beach at times and can be very strong. You have to be heavy to get and stay on the bottom. The current is least right at the bottom. The current running around and through the wreck creates turbulance that sometimes the only way to move about someplaces is pulling yourself around by hand.

I probably stand corrected:

Children: In Florida, all boaters or passengers under 6 years of age onboard any vessel less than 26 feet in length must be wearing a U.S. Coast Guard approved Type I, II, or III PFD while the vessel is underway in State waters. "underway" is defined as anytime except when the vessel is anchored, moored, made fast to the shore, or aground.

Florida law requires the owner and/or operator of a vessel is responsible to carry, store, maintain, and use the safety equipment required by the federal safety equipment requirements adopted by the U.S. Coast Guard.

Nevertheless, if it were my child he'd be wearing a life jacket.

I am pretty sure that "exposure suit" the kid is wearing will suffice.. I know after diving in our local quarries, the girls all take off in their wetsuits and swim across the entire thing. We dont worry.

On boats in Cozumel, none of our kids wear lifejackets.. its either bathing suits or wetsuits for us.. but they all dive and are amazing swimmers.. Accidents will happen and regardless of how you feel about it, not every accident is preventable. Sometimes it just has to happen. Lessons get learned that way.. Thats why we learn to pick the sturdy branches to climb on when we go up in trees.

I'm a diver and I'm a dad. My son is growing up (24 yrs old) and is a dive instructor. While some have questions about the appropriateness of the wreck diving, after watching the video, I see that this was a wreck with lots of openings. I do want to caution others about entering wrecks and caves without proper training. I wish I had my little boy to dive with me, though he may join me on our boat on an ocean fishing trip this weekend. Also, my son was a better boat handler at 10 yrs old, than most of the crazy adult yahoos out there!!!

A son as a dive buddy or as a "1st mate" on an ocean boat makes a daddy a cautious invested mentor. We love our sons!

Dad, take good care of your son and treasure the moments.

Hey DD!

Thanks for sharing the video and not a bad job of video by the way. I also do uw video and know how hard it can be especially in currents. So all in all not bad.

You know one of these days after you are long gone, (hopefully many years from now :D) your son will watch this again and again and remember the great times he had with his dad. Nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, will mean more to him as the years go by than adventures with his father just like that one. You can provide him with all the material things this world has to offer and they will all pale in comparison to the quality time you two spend together. And what a great foundation and example you are setting for for him in case he becomes a dad someday.

Keep up the GREAT work!

And some of you SB people just crack me up with the "Oh my God the sky is falling" because someone touches something. Well the next time you pull up to the table and have a nice seafood dinner, think about what creatures in the ocean had to die so you can fill your belly.

Good for you Dumpster! You know your sons abilities better than anyone.
There are wayyyy too many people that don't take an active part in raising their children. There is absolutely nothing irresponsible being done here. You know the guidelines and decided they do not apply in this situation.

To all of you that criticize the video quality...omg GET OVER IT!
This was not filmed to be production quality. It is a family video.

Considering the current, the kid did awesome. You should be proud.

Way too many people on this site that need to flex their e-penis... "I can maintain perfect neutral buoyancy for hours while only using my mind". Step out of the pool/quarry and try some current. For those of you that can dive in heavy current or surge but maintain perfect buoyancy, how many dives in poor conditions did it take for you to achieve that skill?
Posted via Mobile Device

. . . because of level headed people well experienced in both life and diving have finally chimed in here to point out the crystal clearly obvious: that this video is about a great experience had by a real man raising a future real man.

If all you "You're gonna die!" naysayers out there had been running this country all along, we would NEVER have:

• Gone the Moon (over five freakin' times, and even took a freaking CAR up there)
  • Built Hoover Dam
  • EVER built a skyscraper
  • even so much as attempted what Orville and Wilbur did
  • coined the phrase "free enterprise"
God, I could go on and on...

And some of you SB people just crack me up with the "Oh my God the sky is falling" because someone touches something. Well the next time you pull up to the table and have a nice seafood dinner, think about what creatures in the ocean had to die so you can fill your belly.

Abso-freakin-lutely ! ! !

Back
Top Bottom