10 yr old Wreck Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This just happens to be a topic which is deemed very controversial by some and moot by others. I am personally on the "view it as controversial" side but I know that the two sides will NEVER meet in the middle. And DD knows this and that it would light fires and start fights as well.....

Posted via Mobile Device

Initially I posted a simple link to a video. I don't see how I can be accused of "starting fights" nor did I engage in attacks on anyone for expressing their opinion.

Of course one post, did try my patience. :D

I thought the video of a chance encounter between large creatures and my kid was cool. I supected that some people would disapprove but figured others would be able to appreciate a very amatuerish "home movie" for what it was. I do think it elicited (is that the right word) some interesting and thoughtful posts on "both sides".

I had to stop watching the vid. Scared me for all the reasons you've all discussed above. But one thing still sticks in my head I haven't read too much about: A few years back I read an article, cannot remember the source, about children on scuba and the unknown effects that nitrogen bubble formation around the joints has not been proven or dispproved to show that it could interrupt with the further growth of the child. I am not an orthopedic doctor, so I cannot cite with medical terminology. I have seen children's xrays showing the gap between the bones showing the soft tissue which will eventually form into bone and add to their mature grown height. Has anyone heard about this?

You are speaking of the epiphyseal plates. Older commercial saturation divers have experienced necrosis in this area: the thought with children is the possible effect of bubble formation on the ongoing ossification process.

There are few children diving, statistically speaking, and few available for experimentation. The method would be to place the subjects, kids in this case, in a chamber and pressurize them for a series and compare thier plates to a control group, Not going to happen. So there is conjecture.

Because of the possibility of negative effects it would be best to limit children's depth until they have stopped growing. My children started diving at age 10 and we carefully monitored their nitrogen loading and cumulative depth exposure. We also are lucky in that we have access to medical resources to monitor such things.

My son is over six feet tall with no physical ailments ever, my daughter is shorter but still without bone issues.

And both of them were driving my boats earlier than ten....

That will never happen with my 10 year old...never!

DD, good for you for being involved in your son's life, and sharing your passion for diving with him. While I do not think it will make him a "real man" it will give him memories that will light up his life till its last day. My 32 year old son still talks about the motorcycle rides I took him on when he was 4, his learning to pull water skiers at 12, driving the Jeep off road at 12. I only wish I had been a diver back then so we could share that back then too, now, I am still talking to him to get him to try scuba, I still want to share this passion of mine with my "little boy". Don't let the naysayers get you down, but that being said, I might suggest a little more respect for aquatic life being taught? Not putting you down, and with you spearfishing, that "reach out and touch someone" is a lot less harmful to the fish than a speargun, I would be proud to dive with you and your son anytime.

Thanks!

As for the comments about the interaction with the mola mola, I've never touched one before, but it seemed pretty tough to me. Also, I screwed up big time on the video and failed to tape the inital encounter: The fish approached us, within 2-3 feet of our faces, while we were statically drifting on our safety stop, it was very curious and completely unafraid of us. I also handled it a little, more than my son did in fact, and it seemed to pretty much ignore it.

My intention was to get some video of it and keep it around us, not treat it harshly so that it would leave. After a few minutes of playing with it, it started to very slowly move away. That is the point where I re-started the camera and filmed my son. The fish can easily out swim a diver, so I doubt we were doing any more harm than someone touching a turtle's shell. These are far ranging pelagic species, so we weren't scaring it away from his home either.

Or to put it in terms that I can relate to: If people can catch porpoise, keeping them in a pool for their entire lives and selling tickets to their circus, I can touch a freaking fish! Besides, it WAS educational, who else knows what a mola feels like? :D:D:D

I am a fan of letting young kids dive, but really have some boundaries at that age. I wouldn't let my son at 10yrs old go down to a wreck like that, far to dangerous and risky, and yes it is 15 years of age to be able to dive at wrecks at least in the PADI system, which is the agency I am currently certified with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom