10 yr old Wreck Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

recommended not required

I covered that immediately following the snippet you quoted:

Kyphur:
I know it's just guidelines but my understanding is that when diving with a certified Instructor (which Cameraman/Daddy/Buddy is) the instructor is supposed to abide by Agency Standards.

Of course if you're buddy diving with an instructor that you know they will be more likely to be a buddy than "On-Duty" but if a certified instructor publicly posts a video wouldn't you expect it to adhere to the standards of the agency they are certified through?

You have a GPS reading for current at depth?

No, I got a GPS reading of the surface water in 240 feet while we waited for my buddy to finish his drifting deco under a smb. I made a subjective estimate of the current velocity on the bottom near another shallower wreck, where my son and I dove.

If you could see and watch the video, this would probably be clear to you, although some people apparently have comprehension trouble.

No, I got a GPS reading of the surface water in 240 feet while we waited for my buddy to finish his drifting deco under a smb. I made a subjective estimate of the current velocity on the bottom near another shallower wreck, where my son and I dove.

If you could see and watch the video, this would probably be clear to you, although some people apparently have comprehension trouble.

fair 'nuff

Looks like it was a crazy fun dive...wish I could have been there on it.

You guys seem to forget that it is his kid and he as a parent has a right to raise him as he sees fit.

However the kid piloting the boat with divers in the water does scare me a bit, I would have been pissed if I came up the ladder to find him behind the wheel of a live boat.

Ahh....back in the old school days. Back in the time of twin hose regs, shiny silver wetsuits, masks like bathtubs and..........shockingly high accident mortality rates.QUOTE]

You got data on the "shockingly high accident mortality rates"? Like deths per 1,000 dives? There was a lot of problems in the first 15 to 20 years, starting in 1945, as they were putting it all together, but I have never seen any data. When did diving become safe? You got a year?

As for twin hose regs, my 6 year old loves my RAM on a 40 in the pool and they are more rubust then most of the modern regs.

As for the kid on the dive, well I know a lot of "Adults" who should never go deeper then a bathtub. The father has to determin the level his kid can opperate at.

Penetration diving? This video shows penetration diving like cavern diving is to full cave. I never saw a distance more then 25 feet or so to an opening and many openings in view that can be got out of. The one shot showing sand being distrubed show that silt out was not going to happen. Who would use a reel in that wreck?

Boat handling, that was great! The kid is learing boat skills that he may need in a real emergancy - like the captain being ill, falling off the boat, etc. The kid should have a fair chance of getting to someone in the water. I would hope that he also knows how to start the boat, use the radio and or a cell phone if you are within cell range, and read the GPS to report his position.

Last edited:
You guys seem to forget that it is his kid and he as a parent has a right to raise him as he sees fit.

Oh really ...

... so if some "parent" out there thinks his kid would make a great sexual predator ....:shakehead:

I learned to dive in 1965 when I was eleven years old and I used a two hose regulator. We had no SPGs nor BCs. The accident rate was not "shockingly high." The training I received then was more thorough and much more demanding than what is generally offered today, as divers had to be more reliant on their own skills and knowledge.

Jacques Cousteau taught his sons to dive at an even earlier age. Jean-Michel started diving when he was seven, for instance.

I fully support DumpsterDiver and his son. They are building memories that will last a lifetime. The man does, indeed, have the right to raise his son and teach him as he sees fit.

My youngest son is also ten and his is going for his Jr. OW next month. Perhaps, someday, we can buddy up with DumpsterDiver and his son for some interesting diving.

Ahh....back in the old school days. Back in the time of twin hose regs, shiny silver wetsuits, masks like bathtubs and..........shockingly high accident mortality rates.QUOTE]

You got data on the "shockingly high accident mortality rates"? Like deths per 1,000 dives? There was a lot of problems in the first 15 to 20 years, starting in 1945, as they were putting it all together, but I have never seen any data. When did diving become safe? You got a year?

As for twin hose regs, my 6 year old loves my RAM on a 40 in the pool and they are more rubust then most of the modern regs.

As for the kid on the dive, well I know a lot of "Adults" who should never go deeper then a bathtub. The father has to determin the level his kid can opperate at.

Penetration diving? This video shows penetration diving like cavern diving is to full cave. I never saw a distance more then 25 feet or so to an opening and many openings in view that can be got out of. The one shot showing sand being distrubed show that silt out was not going to happen. Who would use a reel in that wreck?

Boat handling, that was great! The kid is learing boat skills that he may need in a real emergancy - like the captain being ill, falling off the boat, etc. The kid should have a fair chance of getting to someone in the water. I would hope that he also knows how to start the boat, use the radio and or a cell phone if you are within cell range, and read the GPS to report his position.

Thanks! I totally agree that the boat handling skill development could be a life saver in a true emergency.

When he was piloting the boat, there was only one diver in the water, his position was marked by a float, and I was within easy reach of the controls, should he do something dangerous.

He is a much better at driving a boat than I am at videography :D:D:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom