10 yr old Wreck Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolutely horrible in all aspects. IF the kid had been displaying good trim and finning techniques, it would be a LITTLE better, but GET REAL. No real diving skills other than being able to continue breathing, then being allowed to enter an overhead. Topping it all off was the horrible video. Seriously, my video housing (homemade) has no capability to see what you are shooting and I shot video 100 times better than that.

Keep the kid in the pool until he can dive competently and learn better camera management.

Ok, Lets look at the big picture here. I am more than willing to forgive dumpsterdiver and his kid touching the marine life, especially since I've dove WPB and experienced its insane current. Did you see how quickly they penetrated the wreck as the flew over it in like two seconds from the time the wreck appeared on video? If they didn't grab the edge of the opening, they would have missed it, and never would have the strength to fin back to the wreck.

I am waayy willing to overlook most of the "violations" all you "Safety Pete's" out there are going to scream at (somewhat justified - not arguing that), but I can tell you this - I certainly wish I had someone show me that kind of experience when I was 10 years old!!! That video was awesome! Huge Groupers everywhere, a real live Mola Mola, and being mentored to pilot a boat to learn how to vector in to pick up a diver!!!

You certainly can't argue that there was buddy separation!

That video was a glimpse back to old school living when men were men, and real men nurtured young men into manhood with experiences like this. You can't do this kind of mentoring without taking some risks.

Sure wish Dumpsterdiver was my dad.

Even forgiving all of the infractions of standards, an Instructor shouldn't be thumbing his nose at the very things he should be telling every OW class he certifies.

How difficult would it have been for him to have a third diver handle the camera?

Why did he need to bring the speargun along, you say the current is well known on that wreck so he should have made the decision to not load the speargun on the boat.

In current touching the wreck is understandable but grabbing the Mola Mola?

We hear all the complaints about how the standards are so low nowadays and then we get an instructor who is proud to ignore them!

That video was a glimpse back to old school living when men were men, and real men nurtured young men into manhood with experiences like this. You can't do this kind of mentoring without taking some risks.

Ahh....back in the old school days. Back in the time of twin hose regs, shiny silver wetsuits, masks like bathtubs and..........shockingly high accident mortality rates.

With experience comes complacency...and instructors can be the wost. I don't have the full facts of the dive, but from what I can see on the video, it certainly seems like a lot of prudent, industry standard, recommendations were ignored.

The mentoring lesson of that dive, seems to be that the rules are there to be ignored.

In current touching the wreck is understandable but grabbing the Mola Mola?

If you watch the video, he CLEARLY did not grab the Mola Mola. He was in awe like anyone, and merely touched and carressed respectfully. Mola Mola are notoriously harrassed by parasites and likely loved being rubbed by the diver. I think the kid showed alot of mature restraint.

You have simply drunk the koolaid that has made most people here bulldoze over this great experience they had.

If you watch the video, he CLEARLY did not grab the Mola Mola. He was in awe like anyone, and merely touched and carressed respectfully. Mola Mola are notoriously harrassed by parasites and likely loved being rubbed by the diver. I think the kid showed alot of mature restraint.

You have simply drunk the koolaid that has made most people here bulldoze over this great experience they had.

I've drunk the Kool-Aid? Because I think that you shouldn't be handling the marine life I'm the crazy one.

I wonder what you've been drinking. The Mola Mola loved being rubbed by the diver! Look at the screen capture, hand is wrapped over the top of the fish, that is grabbed. Do you think the Mola Mola also enjoyed being hit by the dangling SPG and flashlight?

The kid has been taught to be reckless and that at 10 years old he knows better than the whole of the recreational diving industry.

I don't blindly believe PADI, SDI, NAUI or any Agency is 100% right. If you are a certified Instructor then you shouldn't be a braggart about tossing your Agency's ideals & standards out the porthole.

Attachments

• Bad Diver.jpg
    Bad Diver.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 135
...and don't get me started on the quality of the video. :shakehead:
It's not a quarry....:dork2: The current was probably 1.5 to 2 kts on that wreck. The video from the surface shows the surface current was around 4.5 kts (or mph), but that was further offshore while following a drift deco in 230-250 ft.

What do you expect a person to do in those types of currents?

I've never carried a video camera, so I don't know, but I suggest you direct that question to some of the divers here who regularly produce stable video in heavy currents.

BTW, congrats on having a son who dives. That's awesome. Watching it on my phone I, couldn't discern much of the video.

On the good side he did observe the requirement of redundant air supply

What requirement is that? Who imposes it?

If you watch the video, he CLEARLY did not grab the Mola Mola.

I can't tell from the video, but the still posted above doesn't look like a grab to me.

The freaking video SHOWS the speed on the GPS, you DORK. There is also audio comments about it.

You have a GPS reading for current at depth?

Last edited:
That's one of the saddest things I've seen in my whole life. I really wish I would have read part of this thread as I would never have clicked the link.

Blackwood:
What requirement is that? Who imposes it?
Well I know that PADI requires redundant Air Source (Pony or doubles) for wreck penetration. I know it's just guidelines but my understanding is that when diving with a certified Instructor (which Cameraman/Daddy/Buddy is) the instructor is supposed to abide by Agency Standards. Now as so many seem to say that PADI has the lowest standards I figure the other agencies also require redundant air.

Blackwood:
I can't tell from the video, but the still posted above doesn't look like a grab to me.
In the still you can see two things:

1) The hand goes over the top and doesn't extend above the fish therefore the fingers are bent down along the contour of the fish thus hooking over it. Do you require a specific amount of pressure for it to me considered a "Grab"?

2) The loose hanging flashlight & SPG against the fish. Not a grab but a bump.

Bottom line, he posted it here knowing he'd get this kind of response my his own admission. I don't tell others how to dive but I'd never dive with an INSTRUCTOR who is proud of this type of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom