10 year olds and the discover scuba class.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice! My goddaughter is super excited about her Discover class on the 7th. She and her siblings were mesmerized by the videos from my recent pool session with instructors.

Doby,

What a great picture of your lovey daughter with her first regulator. Certainly a picture that truly captures a moment in time that can never again be duplicated and will be treasured forever.

The picture so reminds me of my son who is now 50 years old but when he was 8 and the only thing he anted for Christmas was a Sea Pro At Pac like dads but in his favorite color light blue in stead of orange like his fathers At Pac.

I knew the owners of Sea Pro since they were teen agers-- (one had actually been my student) I picked up a sky blue one at the factory and had them emboss his name on the unit.

It was under the tree with the other presents and the last one to be opened.

It was off with his PJs into his wet suit and into the pool -- his "greatest present ever"

Fast forward 2016 Christmas -- Number two granddaughter became disinterested in the Christmas activity -- put on her snorkel gear and spent several hours in the pool practicing free diving..

Good luck and be prepared for a life time and strong heritage of diving activities

SDM

Attachments

• upload_2016-12-27_8-11-44.png
    upload_2016-12-27_8-11-44.png
    468.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Sorry if it's been mentioned--Make sure you check the Instructor/student ratio. I know it's in the pool. I've heard some interesting DSD ratio stories in the ocean. As a school teacher I've taught a lot of Grade 6 (11-12 year olds) and am not a fan of anyone that age or younger doing anything but snorkeling, but I'm in the big minority and it's somewhat irrelevant. Having DMd open water courses with several 15 year olds, I think that can be an appropriate age for full OW cert., but really depends on the student-- different than 19-20 year olds of course, which can be said for a lot of things.

For goddaughter's DSD on the 7th, there are now 2 students (just checked shop calendar, which shows number of students). Was only her before. I'll be working in the deep end with my instructor on some things, so I'll be keeping an eye on her, while another instructor is doing the DSD with her. My shop only does DSDs in the shallow end.

Last edited:

FranceseaPhotographer
# of Dives: 50 - 99
New
image-jpg.388540
We also had a "scuba Christmas" matching dive computers and manicures! ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As my Tennessee neighbor would so apply state:
"Lordy! lordy ! ....Cute as a speckled pup !"

Which hand is your hubby's ?

If you lived on the left coast where it all began, it is currently very sunny , 67 degrees and getting warner by the minute, you could run right down to the shore and test them...The computers for accuracy and the manicures for what ever ? ( why MANicures ? )

SDM

1. Doby45 likes this.

2. FranceseaPhotographer
    New
    image-jpg.388540
    We also had a "scuba Christmas" matching dive computers and manicures! ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As my Tennessee neighbor would so apply state:
"Lordy! lordy ! ....Cute as a speckled pup !"

Which hand is your hubby's ?

If you lived on the left coast where it all began, it is currently very sunny , 67 degrees and getting warner by the minute, you could run right down to the shore and test them...The computers for accuracy and the manicures for what ever ? ( why MANicures ? )

SDM

That is my 17 year old daughter not my husband!!! Or were you teasing? Bekki and I both have been nibbling nails over her college applications, thus the required triage of our nails. But the SUUNTO novo wrist computers were on sale for $150.00 as a daily deal with Leisurepro, and I could not resist that price even knowing they were the discontinued model. Mark and I trained before computers so we never bought them, and he still does not want one, (or a manicure!)

Kidding of course --- but if you resided in San Francisco and in accordance with many state statues she could have been your "Husband."

Bekki ? Great name and a big congratulations for naming her. My daughters are Roni, Randi, Keni and Mikki and also the baby of the tribe Sam IV..Five children in five years to the day !

Don't fret over last years model...Since about 1970s after SDM did the studies of divers longevity companies began programs of planned obsolesce and reduced product life span.. ( I was a product consultant to 4 major dive companies during that period ) So the computers will possibly last you during your active dive career.

Keep the board ( or at least me about Bekki's progress in college admission)

Cheers from a very warm and sunny Kalifornia--

SDM

FranceseaPhotographer
New
image-jpg.388540
We also had a "scuba Christmas" matching dive computers and manicures!

[QUOTE="sam miller, post: 7861065,

Keep the board ( or at least me about Bekki's progress in college admission)

![/QUOTE]

I intend to start a thread about how diving helps our kids get interested in science and engineering, as soon as applications are done. I am betting there are some good stories out there. Plus lots of younger parents lament the cost of kids diving but they should consider it a lifelong investment.
I imagine my kid inventing new diving technology and it keeps me going!

Reactions: tep
My 11 yo goddaughter's DSD class was today. There was another student, a young teenager. There was an instructor and a DM. She did really well, just had issues with cold (she was really shivering), and so cut it short by about 10 minutes. She's got very little natural insulation. The pool (a large indoor community pool) is kept at 80F, but even I freeze (and I've got a good bit of natural insulation) when I've been in the same pool in the past (I wear a long sleeved rash guard and UnderArmor leggings over my bathing suit).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom