10 year olds and the discover scuba class.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hmmm. there's a 10 yo age limit for DSD with PADI - that's why i asked.

Maybe the verbiage is confusing, she took the "Bubble Maker" course which had a minimum age of 8yrs old and yes, she went out in the ocean. I can post video if you are doubting me.

Edit : Here are pics, I will get video later.

Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 10.29.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 10.30.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 10.28.08 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 10.32.21 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-12-16 at 10.33.10 AM.png

Last edited:
I whole heartily agree with Francesea who stated ;

" ...I certainly agree with My 17 year old looked at Embry Riddle and F.I.T. For engineering, and would like to dive more if she is accepted at a Florida college. I believe there is a link between getting kids into diving and the Science and engineering options they might choose for careers..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We receive our children as unfinished works who need to be exposed to many options and guided though their young lives. School, church and leisure activities. Their schooling was private and public, in schooling they immersed them selves in all the activities that was available at that time and became campus leaders , church was not an option, leisure time activities was consumed with out door activities especially at the then pristine beaches of Orange county California where they snorkeled SCUBA dove and learned to appreciate the ocean as another world to be respected and explored.

On every dive they had to choose a item of marine flora or fauna, return home research it, ID it by common and scientific names for their Dive Log books. One of their favorites was the black abalone the "Haliotis cracherodii" which after all these many years still is used in our family conversations.

Every parent should be proud of their children -- I certainly am certainly proud of my - 3 with scientific doctorates, and one "the best educated housewife in OC" and one sadly passed away shortly after his birth. All four dive but only one is a diver, Dr. Sam IV.

As one who has been there and done that long before any of you were exposed to the underwater world I would suggest that you not to overtly or covertly encourage your children to enter the diving world -

Allow them the opportunity to safely explore the underwater world via an intro to SCUBA or whatever it is called by the instructor programs. If they enjoy the experience and express interest encourage and support them 110%.

But be prepared --Some will follow in your fin prints some have other interests

SDM .

I

Bubblemaker standards say confined shallow water of 6 feet/2meters or less.
Jim beat me to it. There's no PADI program to my knowledge that brings someone less than 10YO in the ocean. I don't doubt it happened - but it couldn't be officially a PADI program once they left the pool, unless it was confined water and wasn't deeper than 6 ft.

I could take the time to dig out her certificate for the Bubble Maker course and her birth certificate and the date of the trip and the dive log from my dive computer and a bunch of other stuff, but I am not. PADI in a foreign country would NEVER break standards.

I could take the time to dig out her certificate for the Bubble Maker course and her birth certificate and the date of the trip and the dive log from my dive computer and a bunch of other stuff, but I am not. PADI in a foreign country would NEVER break standards.

Congratulations to your lovely daughter - She and youngsters like her are the future of the underwater world.

SAM

I

Last edited:
Sam Miller, I would love for my kids to go Ph.D, and so far my Robotics major son has considered it. The technology they can create is probably something out of science fiction.

Sam Miller, I would love for my kids to go Ph.D, and so far my Robotics major son has considered it. The technology they can create is probably something out of science fiction.
Mine was into First Robotics for years. She joined the High School team at age 12. She may or may not be into it this year but that is due mainly to politics of our area and her overall schedule. She loved the manufacturing side including the milling, lathe and CSC machines. Her major is still moving around. A year and a half ago, we sent her to Boston University (15 years old) to attend a summer program they had when she wanted to be an epidemiologist. It was her request to go. She literally has given up all of her summers for school for years this way. We actually have to tell her that her grades do not matter as much and often tell her she has 1 childhood and to enjoy it. She is an over achiever my any measurement. Right now, she is finding that she wants to be involved with Technical Theater. She enjoys audio and set design. The audio portion is funny because she had no malleus ear bone for years. She just got her full hearing back last year. This is not her parents first choice but we will support her. If she goes that route, we may ask that she have a backup plan though. I want her enjoying life, not struggling. The other thing she wants is to move north to snow country..... brrrr. She hates the Florida heat!

I was happy when she liked diving. It has allowed us to do this as a family. It will be sad when I lose my dive buddy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom