10% overfill / Plus + rating on Steel LP tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bad link Ben...

Well, that's what you get for not updating your links ever.

It's fixed now.

Ben

yknot:
I have heard that a tank due for hydro can reattain a plus rating under certain circumstances. Anyone know what the process involves?
They need to have a "special" hydro don ethat will again rate it to the 10% overfill. Just ask your hydro testing facility if they'll do that and/or exactly how it's done. I cannot recall the specifics.
Sea The World scuba does hydro's at the shop....they also do them for a few LDS's as well....you can call Craig (the owner---does most of the hydros) and he'll be able to answer that question.
Good luck.

brandon

yknot:
I have heard that a tank due for hydro can reattain a plus rating under certain circumstances. Anyone know what the process involves?

In Canada, the plus rating is of less use but the process is similar to the regular hydro except the tank is tested at the higher pressure and the retester needs a special certification.

BCS:
They need to have a "special" hydro don ethat will again rate it to the 10% overfill. Just ask your hydro testing facility if they'll do that and/or exactly how it's done. I cannot recall the specifics.
Sea The World scuba does hydro's at the shop....they also do them for a few LDS's as well....you can call Craig (the owner---does most of the hydros) and he'll be able to answer that question.
Good luck.

brandon

I have one steel tank that I bought at Sea the World. Craig is the guy that told me tanks can be re-certified at a plus rating but failed to mention what this takes. This is also in reference to another long time diver/instructor that told me a plus rating is only valid until the first hydro. I'm just trying to get to the facts.

yknot:
This is also in reference to another long time diver/instructor that told me a plus rating is only valid until the first hydro. QUOTE]

A "Star" rating is only valid until the first hydro but theses are not seen on SCUBA cylinders. They are on T and M cylinders and mean that the first hydro is after 10 years not 5. Don't see them much.

In Canada, the "plus" rating must be maintained. It doesn't get put back on after it has lapsed.

A plus rating applied to a steel scuba cylinder can be applied at the time of hydrostatic retest as long as the proper steps are taken by the hydrostatic retester. In essence, they have to do more math.

Call your local hydrostatic retester and confirm that they are capable of retesting your cylinder and also of applying/reapplying the plus rating if the cylinder passes the retest.

To find Hydrostatic Retesters in your area, check out this .pdf.

Hope this helps.

Chris
COVCI

Back
Top Bottom