3000 psi STEEL PST cylinder?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Colliam7

Tech Instructor
Staff member
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A customer gave our shop an older PST steel cylinder, working pressure 3000 psi. It is approximately 7” in diameter, and appears to be a little shorter than a HP 100.

I have not seen one of these cylinders before, and cannot find any information on it (e.g. capacity at working pressure, years of production, etc). However, I did find that a SB user sold one of these through the SB Classifieds, about 4 years ago. That user posted a picture of his cylinder. Our cylinder looks the same, with the exception of a later (higher) serial number, and a later ‘birth’ date (original hydro date), 1984 in our case. 3000 psi PST steel tanks 94cf? Galvanized and very nice.

If anyone knows anything about this particular line of PST cylinders, I would love to hear from you. I am going to determine the internal volume of the cylinder, and try to back calculate to capacity, at 3000 psi. I will dive it, to get a feel for its buoyancy characteristics. But, I would love to know more, if there is information out there.

I have a pair of these from about '79 that I just got back from hydro. They would be 94.6cf if they were filled to the + rating with 3300 psi. I believe they sit somewhere between 85cf and 88cf with a 3000psi fill. They are very heavy and very negatively buoyant.

I have one also that I just purchased from another SB member. It is in my "to be hydro'ed" pile.

Specs:

3AA3000
Original hydro 1/79
42 lbs empty (with valve)
Buoyancy empty -10.2 lbs (with valve in fresh water. I measured)
Neck threads 3/4 NPSM
Galvanized finish
Serial # 16899V

Nominal capacity is usually given as 94-96 cubic feet.

These cylinders have roughly the same exterior dimensions as an LP85 but have a thicker wall.

The empty weight is comparable to a PST HP120 (41 pounds) or Worthington X7-120 (43 pounds).

Back
Top Bottom