10% overfill / Plus + rating on Steel LP tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lal7176:
I called Bill High the president of PSI Scuba Tanks Inspectors in Washington. I discussed what you had emailed me about and I added my two cents worth. Well what the whole conversation boiled down to was that I am correct ( in part ) about the 5 year 10% over fill stamp and you're correct ( in part ) about the requalification.

Was going to jump in here with the answer above (Must be + recert every 5 years) but you got the info from the horses mouth :wink: I'm PSI certified (#15538) but I do believe Bill's answer holds more weight then mine :D

Pescador,when they started the + rating around WW2 there was no REE #,I just went on the dock to look at a few tanks and the first one I came to was a 230 nitrogen mfg. date 2-17 thats 1917 with a + for every test date from 1946 on and we have alot more just like it.These are not scuba cylinders but the same rules apply other than a 10 year retest date designated by a star after the +,For you guy's that have customer owned Helium,Argon and Aviators request a + and a ten year date they should be able to comply.The fire safety guy's that retest dont do either most of the time.If your in Jacksonville FL. or St.Augustine area e-mail me and I will make sure you recieve a + for your old steel 72,cost $18.00 and 2 week turn around.Its like Captian says it's not a 90% thing either you pass or fail.

There are some LP72's out there that were made by PST and sold under various names that did not have the + stamp originally. Can they EVER be + rated?

FrankT,I believe you may be talking about 1800 psi cylinders but not sure,in any case I noticed that our retester does'nt + stamp them and they did'nt come from the Mfg with it either,I'll ask him when he comes up later this week.

I am asking about the 2250 psi 72's. Not all of them that I have seen came with the + rating.

FrankT:
There are some LP72's out there that were made by PST and sold under various names that did not have the + stamp originally. Can they EVER be + rated?

If they were actually 72's made by PST, they should be stamped 3AA and if so did have the + rating. If not, then no.

Sounds good to me 8431,but everybody I talk to has a different opinion that includes the guy's doing the retesting.I have found cylinders manufactured as long ago as 1917 that received a + for a couple times after WW2 and then no + for a while and then it it starts back up later.I guess it depends on how the retester feels at the time he is supposed to pick up the stamp and apply the hammer to it.Some are lazy and thats a fact.I read the CFR's and the only thing I found was that cylinders for underwater use must be retested every 5 years, (paraphrased) please correct me if I'm wrong.It may be safe to add 10% but thats up to the fellow who is next to it when it's being filled.The confusion on this subject seems to match that of the creation of the universe!even with our company,which is in this business, anyway why take a chance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom