1 Week dive trip accessible from Amsterdam and New York

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

keesmon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, so a dive buddy and I meet up for a week long dive trip for Easter week every year.
Problem is that we fly out of Amsterdam and NYC respectively.
In the last few years, we've met up in Belize, Bonaire (awesome), and Honduras (great vibe, not too many fish).
The only other 2 places that I can find relatively easy access to are Curacao and Cozumel. I looked at Egypt, but the connection from Cairo to the diving cities seem to all involve 6-7 hour airport stays. I define easy access as 1-2 plane changes and no 20 hour adventures to get anywhere for a week. Are there any spots that we are missing?
I'm not unhappy at all with the thought of going to either Curacao or Cozumel, but wanted to see if there is anything else out there.
Thanks for your help in advance.

I looked at Egypt, but the connection from Cairo to the diving cities seem to all involve 6-7 hour airport stays. I define easy access as 1-2 plane changes and no 20 hour adventures to get anywhere for a week. Are there any spots that we are missing?

Yes, you're missing Egypt.

Look harder at the airline schedules, or Contact Longwood Holidays in England.

It will push your "definition", but also look hard at Maldives- or meet "in the middle", the Philippines. (You'll be approaching it from different directions, though)

Agree on the Red Sea. Most divers in Europe get directly to Sharm or Hurgada via charter flights. You could meet your buddy in either Amsterdam or in London and get a charter flight.

Maldives is another good option. I think Emirates fly from NYC to Dubai and then a connection to Male. I'm going to the Maldives for the first time at the beginning of November. Whilst I enjoyed my trip to the Red Sea, I am expecting the diving to be better on the trip I'm joining in the Maldives (whale shark & manta season).

Happen to notice that Curacao is non-stop from both Amsterdam and Newark on Saturday?

It's really similar diving to Bonaire - longer swim out to the reef but almost always that's because you're in a cove with a sandy beach entry. So no entries over ironshore - some have an on-site dive facility with a dock. Dive sites are more spread out and there's no alongshore road in most areas so 4+ dives/day is harder to do.

There's a lot more to do topside also with 10x the population of Bonaire.

If you decide on Egypt - 30 hr. trek from here - I recently found this: http://www.blueotwo.com/red_sea_liveaboards.htm

Thanks for the replies guys.
I guess the other factor in here is cost.
I have no problem spending some money, but the equation always involves time spent as well.
Since i only have the one week to do this (wife and 2 young kids at home), Egypt and the Maldives seem very far away and expensive for such a short amount of time. Our previous trips of this kind have always been 10 hours or less of travel on my end and less than $1000 for airfare. I do hope to get back to extended trip diving, but that will be a few years away.

What about Grand Cayman? You can get there from NYC in about 5-6 hrs. - a friend does. There's also some direct flights on Cayman Airways.

Don't know about your friend though - maybe thru London since GC is a British territory there might be some established routes.

It's really pricey there though for Food and non-package priced Diving. We rented a 2BR condo on the beach and did some cooking to save money. Although food in the markets is pretty high also - just about everything is imported. There aren't really many cheap accommodations either. Sunset House is about the most reasonable - it's a partial AI - they include some dives and breakfast. Some of the regular hotels/resorts also offer dive packages.

Or Cobalt Coast, on the north coast - but it's a short drive to everything from there. They also offer a dive pkg. with an optional meal plan.

The diving is excellent. Water clarity is probably as good as or better than Bonaire/Curacao in some areas. And you'll see more bigger stuff. There's also a good dozen shore dives spread over the island.

Rates are higher over Easter also. Everything you probably need to know can be found at Cayman Islands - Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac and Little Cayman, Travel and Tourism Site

:doh:

When you said "Amsterdam", do you mean New York?

:doh::doh::doh::doh: (D'oh!)

We're looking at doing the Grand Cayman thing in a few years.
I'll probably do that trip with my East coast buddies though and try to find some last minute or off season thing. Really looking forward to that kind of visibility.
Curacao is looking good with cheap flights and some nice digs in Westpunt.
I know these are such subjective questions, but how would one compare Cozumel diving to Utila, Caye Caulker, Bonaire in terms of marine life? Topside is never so important as long as there's some cold beers and every place seems to have those.
Thanks again for the help!

We're looking at doing the Grand Cayman thing in a few years.
I'll probably do that trip with my East coast buddies though and try to find some last minute or off season thing. Really looking forward to that kind of visibility.
Curacao is looking good with cheap flights and some nice digs in Westpunt.
I know these are such subjective questions, but how would one compare Cozumel diving to Utila, Caye Caulker, Bonaire in terms of marine life? Topside is never so important as long as there's some cold beers and every place seems to have those.
Thanks again for the help!

IMO, go on to Little Cayman.....

OK, so a dive buddy and I meet up for a week long dive trip for Easter week every year.
Problem is that we fly out of Amsterdam and NYC respectively.
In the last few years, we've met up in Belize, Bonaire (awesome), and Honduras (great vibe, not too many fish).
The only other 2 places that I can find relatively easy access to are Curacao and Cozumel. I looked at Egypt, but the connection from Cairo to the diving cities seem to all involve 6-7 hour airport stays. I define easy access as 1-2 plane changes and no 20 hour adventures to get anywhere for a week. Are there any spots that we are missing?
I'm not unhappy at all with the thought of going to either Curacao or Cozumel, but wanted to see if there is anything else out there.
Thanks for your help in advance.

I tend to agree with DiverSteve. Curacao would be an excellent choice for both your and your friend.

The diving is excellent and many ways similar to Bonaire (except less shore diving).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom