1 week, 4 destinations, need help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j_spot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I get to take my week vacation sometime between now and may. Im 27, single and pretty much want to dive dive and maybe check out some local nature (mountains, jungle, waterfalls etc) but then more diving.

The 4 destinations that are on my books (based on timeshare availability) currently are

Cancun (Royal Islander/Sands/Carribean/Mayan) with kitchens
Mayan Riviera (Royal Hacienda) no kitchen
Aruba (Casa del Mar, Marriot Ocean club/Surf club) some kitchen
Curacao (Sea Aquarium resort) no kitchen

Of those destinations which has the best diving? Do shops in the Mayan Riviera make a regular trip to Coz or would I just take the ferry by myself and go to a shop there? I dont care about boat vs shore diving as long as the dive is a good one!

Mexico gets bonus points for ease of getting there - Cancun gets more points because I can trade for a 2 bed and try to coax friends along. Curacao is hard to get to (I fly on points with Star Alliance). Aruba may be overly touristy.

Im having a real hard time deciding - so please help me out.

Okay, let me be honest with you. Going on a dive vacation based on "timeshare availability" isn't the best. Your timeshare isn't going to have a dive op most likely, so you are going to have issues with travel. Sometimes it works out well for people, most times its just a hassle.

Cancun isn't that close to Cozumel, it would be hours of travel each day each way (bus to PDC, ferry only runs once an hour I think, then a taxi from the ferry dock to your boat) and dive ops run on a schedule. They wouldn't hold the whole boat waiting on you to arrive each day. There are dive ops in Cancun and also PDC which will do the coast there which is okay.
PDC... yes, some dive ops there go to Cozumel each day, by ferry, but they can arrange it all. It makes for a long day, you wouldn't want to do it every day but you could dive some days there off Playa. Topside activities, like all the Mayan ruins are a big plus and not to be missed if you go there. (Chichen Itza, Ek Balam, Coba) This would be my first choice recommendation for you.
Aruba.... haven't heard much great about the diving.
Curacao has great diving but once again you are going to need to arrange transportation to a dive op as I doubt the timeshare has one. So Curacao would probably be the best overall diving of the group but probably the priciest.

Just my 2 cents.
robin:D

Okay, let me be honest with you. Going on a dive vacation based on "timeshare availability" isn't the best. Your timeshare isn't going to have a dive op most likely, so you are going to have issues with travel. Sometimes it works out well for people, most times its just a hassle.

Just my 2 cents.
robin:D

How so? Im not trading for hurricane season - yea its not prime time but I get to go which is better than not going. And lots of dive ops pick you up. Ive yet to have an issue with that.

Anyways, thanks for the reccomendation on PDC - I think if I can figure out transport to Curacao Im leaning there, if not its PDC.

Back
Top Bottom