1 DAY IN TAHITI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lwang06

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, I'm planning on doing a liveaboard in French Polynesia in December with a friend... we will have one day in Tahiti (flight leaves at 11pm) ... any suggestions on what to do that day? Was thinking of taking the ferry to Moorea to do snorkeling but the other problem is what we should do with our luggage since we won't have a hotel either....thanks!

Yes - do a circle Island tour. I hate organised tours but had the same full day in Tahiti thing so booked a half day tour. The one I did included lunch at the Paul Gaugin museum which was thankfully closed so Rocky took us (only myself and one couple) to a Polynesian owned restaurant with plastic chairs and a 5 star menu. Kinda cool eating caviar, poisson cry and sashimi while the other couple were chewing down on chicken and salad rolls in a tiny shop. Because the Gauguin was closed Rocky took us to his favourite part of Tahiti - the Ismuth - and at my request down to Teahapu/Chopes where I had my very first ever surfing lesson :D
Saw Lava tubes, waterfalls, blowholes, grottos including the one where Gaugin the syphilitic deviant used to bathe in the hope it cured his syphylis - it didn't. Also visited Marae's for an awesome lesson in Polynesian History and lots of discussion as most Polynesians are very keenly interested in genealogy and curious about yours. Being a "pure Australian" I found out the Polynesians consider Indigenous Australians cousins who "just haven't got in contact yet".
They also do a half day tour - personally if I do have the opportunity to revisit I would happily pay extra for a personal tour with Rocky.
You can also hire a car and DIY but I found I got a great day well worth the value and saw so much more than with a guidebook and hirecar.
Papeete Marche is Ok it's just another market albeit with pearls tattooists boutiques and vegetables all under one roof. The city of Papeete is pretty much Meh in my view

Thanks for the advice!

Hi, I'm planning on doing a liveaboard in French Polynesia in December with a friend... we will have one day in Tahiti (flight leaves at 11pm) ... any suggestions on what to do that day? Was thinking of taking the ferry to Moorea to do snorkeling but the other problem is what we should do with our luggage since we won't have a hotel either....thanks!
What did you do with your luggage while you were diving on your last day? My flight leaves at 11pm to come home as well. Thanks

What did you do with your luggage while you were diving on your last day? My flight leaves at 11pm to come home as well. Thanks

I didnt go on the trip yet but I think we are staying an extra day so for at least 1 night we will have hotel but nobody has given me any other advice or recommendations

Yes - do a circle Island tour. I hate organised tours but had the same full day in Tahiti thing so booked a half day tour. The one I did included lunch at the Paul Gaugin museum which was thankfully closed so Rocky took us (only myself and one couple) to a Polynesian owned restaurant with plastic chairs and a 5 star menu. Kinda cool eating caviar, poisson cry and sashimi while the other couple were chewing down on chicken and salad rolls in a tiny shop. Because the Gauguin was closed Rocky took us to his favourite part of Tahiti - the Ismuth - and at my request down to Teahapu/Chopes where I had my very first ever surfing lesson :D
Saw Lava tubes, waterfalls, blowholes, grottos including the one where Gaugin the syphilitic deviant used to bathe in the hope it cured his syphylis - it didn't. Also visited Marae's for an awesome lesson in Polynesian History and lots of discussion as most Polynesians are very keenly interested in genealogy and curious about yours. Being a "pure Australian" I found out the Polynesians consider Indigenous Australians cousins who "just haven't got in contact yet".
They also do a half day tour - personally if I do have the opportunity to revisit I would happily pay extra for a personal tour with Rocky.
You can also hire a car and DIY but I found I got a great day well worth the value and saw so much more than with a guidebook and hirecar.
Papeete Marche is Ok it's just another market albeit with pearls tattooists boutiques and vegetables all under one roof. The city of Papeete is pretty much Meh in my view
Wingy, you never said how to contact Rocky. Can you share please? We're going in February and Rocky sounds like the guy to hook up with. Thanks, Lee

Hi Lee - sorry just spent an hour going through old emails :) Rocky was working for Marema Tours, but none of the recent reviews mention him. It seems he may have moved on but I do know Tahiti is his home island. Recent reviews seem a bit hit and miss - they certainly haven't improved their organisation skills as far as half day full day sure we can fit another 4 people in the mini van. Again I really loved my tour but thinking back they were late, did take a booking for the other couple in the van for lunch at Gaugins museum knowing full well it was closed (and still is) but I'd love to catch up with Rocky again. Their female guide seems to get a lot of good reviews now, perhaps she's replaced him.
I did notice Daves Circle Island Tours seems very popular - an American guy with a great knowledge of Tahiti.

Dave's VIP Tours tahiti
Transport | Marama Tours

Seems Maramatours are now firmly linked with the cruise ships - quite possibly the reason for lateness.

Whichever provider you choose, just smile and enjoy the scenery. Have fun :)

I would not waste my one or two days trying to snorkel in Moorea. I just got back from a 13 day trip to French Polynesia, and thought Moorea was not great for snorkeling or diving when compared to most of the other islands visited. With a day or two in Tahiti, I would rent a car and drive around the island, and down the west side of Tahiti Nui to Plage de Maui beach, seeing as many of the tourist spots as you want. You really do not need a guide to do that, and you can spend as much or little time as you want at each of the stops.

I would not waste my one or two days trying to snorkel in Moorea. I just got back from a 13 day trip to French Polynesia, and thought Moorea was not great for snorkeling or diving when compared to most of the other islands visited. With a day or two in Tahiti, I would rent a car and drive around the island, and down the west side of Tahiti Nui to Plage de Maui beach, seeing as many of the tourist spots as you want. You really do not need a guide to do that, and you can spend as much or little time as you want at each of the stops.

Did you go and have a surfing lesson at Teahapoo? Awesome fun - I did not manage to stand up once and they put me in the kindergarten kids class :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom