1 Day in Grand Caymen for a Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

several years ago, i was able to make an east end dive from a cruise ship. it depends on the ships schedule and how much effort you want to expend. we had hired a jeep, taken our gear and stopped at east end divers (name might be different now) picked up a couple of tanks and did a shore dive in the area.

to be fair, we worked on the ship so we were familiar with the island and had chances to dive other spots on the island to plan our outing. it would probably be more enjoyable to go with a dive operator there.

i think our ship was in at 8 out at 5 or something like that. definitely try to coordinate your trip before you go regardless of going to the east end or not.

Seems to be a good selection of dive shops people recommend. For those of us with only a day to enjoy the diving of GC, where would you recommend diving?

Thanks for the info!

I have emailed Neptune Divers and am waiting for a reply. Bob Soto's said there is nothing they can do for us as of our schedule.

SoCalOffshore:
Royal Carib's Grandeur of the Seas. We dont get into Georgetown untill 10:30 am and depart at 5:30pm. So I assume, I need to stay close. A reef and wreck dive sound good to me.

We're going next week. Have never gone to GC before, so not exactly sure what to expect, but I'll be sure to let you know how it went when we return.

Our ship is in at 7, out at 4. As most dive shops run either morning or afternoon dives, you schedule may be a little more difficult to accomodate. However, I have been told that if your are going to GC for the first time, Sting Ray City dive is a MUST. We found it diffucult as it's a longer trip and would be diffucult to ensure we made it back to the ship. Leaving at 5:30, you may be able to consider it.

Another thing to consider is you will be tendered in GC instead of docked. Not just a simple matter of walking on and off the ship.

bluwolf:
We're going next week. Have never gone to GC before, so not exactly sure what to expect, but I'll be sure to let you know how it went when we return.

Our ship is in at 7, out at 4. As most dive shops run either morning or afternoon dives, you schedule may be a little more difficult to accomodate. However, I have been told that if your are going to GC for the first time, Sting Ray City dive is a MUST. We found it diffucult as it's a longer trip and would be diffucult to ensure we made it back to the ship. Leaving at 5:30, you may be able to consider it.

Another thing to consider is you will be tendered in GC instead of docked. Not just a simple matter of walking on and off the ship.

There is a decent shore dive very close to the pier where you dock. Called Eden Rock. It's close to a dive shop (i think it was called eden rock) only about 40-50 feet deep but we saw 3 or 4 small nurse sharks hiding in a crevice, plenty of reef fish (large yellowtail, triggerfish, squirrel fish, etc.) and lots of grottos.

We usually did this dive if the tender was running late and we only had a couple hours. Again, if you have your own gear, just rent a tank and jump in. I mention this in case you have an unforseen delay and have limited time. It happens when you tender and if there are big swells...

Happy diving!

Stivo:
There is a decent shore dive very close to the pier where you dock. Called Eden Rock. It's close to a dive shop (i think it was called eden rock) only about 40-50 feet deep but we saw 3 or 4 small nurse sharks hiding in a crevice, plenty of reef fish (large yellowtail, triggerfish, squirrel fish, etc.) and lots of grottos.

We usually did this dive if the tender was running late and we only had a couple hours. Again, if you have your own gear, just rent a tank and jump in. I mention this in case you have an unforseen delay and have limited time. It happens when you tender and if there are big swells...

Happy diving!

Yea, great advise. Even though it's a hassle, we always travel with our gear, so it's definitely an option.

After spending all this money on Scubapro gear, I need to get my monies worth and use it on the trip!

cool... hope you guys have a great time!

Back
Top Bottom