1 BCD 2 divers: Is it okay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened to the OP?

Not a peep from him since he posed (proabably innocently) the question, and all hell broke loose.

Go visit a decent instructor and ask them to 'put you through your paces'. I'm sure there'll be a volunteer or two here on Scubaboard.

Not me ... I don't have time for someone who already has all the answers ... I learned a long time ago that I can't help those people, so I concentrate my effort on people I can help.

I'm only bothering to follow this thread at this point in case someone else who's reading it is wondering whether or not this is a good idea ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

And as this thread has progressed this far and the lunacy just keep running from KD8NPB, Im gonna say this once and only once..

KD8NPB: If you are what your profile indicates and you are even half serious, you have a SERIOUS need to go get your head straightened out before diving with anyone else than yourself again.
You need to wake up and realize that this is no joking matter!

This post will probably be deleted, but theres just no way to be blunt about the idiocy of what KD8NPB is capable of posting :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do I feel like we are being trolled?

I have suspected such from post #1, but have tried responding as if OP was serious, just in case new divers might run across this thread on the board down the road, and actually take the idea seriously.

There are lots and lots of people who's goal in life seems to be to earn a Darwin award. My only hope is that threads like this stop other people from joining them in their poor choices.

Not me ... I don't have time for someone who already has all the answers ... I learned a long time ago that I can't help those people, so I concentrate my effort on people I can help.

I must be more vindictive that you! LOL Seriously though... I've never actually met a diver with this attitude. They tend to be more humble and open in real life. The internet allows people, especially geeky glasses wearing skinny type college kids, to pretend to be something they are not.

I'm only bothering to follow this thread at this point in case someone else who's reading it is wondering whether or not this is a good idea ...

Absolutely... my only interest is to ensure that a visitor to the thread gains a realistic appreciation in what is truly involved with supervising and safeguarding the welfare of others in the water - whether as an instructor, guide or buddy. For that reason alone, I bother to respond.

I don't actually have any concerns about R2D2, or whatever his name is..... as I think it's all internet bluster.. and he'd be timid and porous in real life.

This is a flame free zone. Your personal attacks are unappreciated.

Please show respect and courtesy at all times.

Devon, you're a moderator. You should know better.

Rather than showing me the way or suggesting to expand my training, or linking me to suggested courses I should take, so far this has happened instead:

1.) Personal attacks
2.) Attacks on credibility
3.) Disobeyance of board rules by administrative faculty

The truth isn't an attack.

Please EARN respect at all times, if that's what you want.

Do you not consider your pretentious, disrespectful rant to experienced instructors to be a flame?

FWIW, no i dont condone this practice. It has disaster and tragedy written all over it. You would have to ask yourself this question..."If my ________(enter here son, daughter, wife, friend) dies due to my incompetence, could i live with it? If you answer yes, you need to be commited to a mental institution.

However, I was not taught how to dive by a certified dive instructor. My grandfather taught me how to dive at a much younger age than what is currently allowed by all agencies standards. He was a fantastic teacher, and taught me more than any course than I have ever taken. So can a "Non-Instructor" teach someone to dive? Yes. Would my grandfather have ever done what we are talking about here? Hell no.

Calling idiocy "idiocy" is not flaming. There are actions which are so egregiously stupid and irresponsible that to not call them out as such is itself to share in that irresponsibility.

But what's really funny is that the people you are calling out for flaming your egregiously irresponsible suggestion are stating that they can't believe anyone would advocate something that stupid. Do you really want to assure us that they are wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom