1/2" (straight) Sportsway K-Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwuleo

Registered
Reaction score
I found the valve I was looking for, for a steel 63 tank with a 1/2"neck...........Now any ideas on where I can get it rebuilt???????????

Tanks, I mean thanks for any suggestions...............JU

Confused, rebuild what, tank or valve. Tanks can be tested and maybe tumbled if needed. If the valve doesn't leak and is fairly easy to operate use as is.

There is nothing sepcial about that valve other than the odd threads that only fit that tank. Use generic valve parts and just do a simple overhaul. Be careful not to damage it as there is no easy way to find a replacement.

Thanks, Tank is good, no problem with hydro or visual but thought I should probable rebuild valve if possible...............the valve says Sportsway Inc. of Los Angeles Ca. but I can't find a website or a phone number so I assume the company no longer exists????? Anyone have any information on Sportsway???? I am reselling the tank so I want to be sure both tank AND valve are good to go.............JU

Sportsways has been gone for a long time. That was the only company to use that 1/2" O-ringed tank valve to my knowledge. Again, there is nothing special about the valve make up. You can use the generic parts readily available just about anywhere that valve parts are sold. If it still has one of the slotted plugs for a burst disk, be VERY careful when trying to get it out. If you don't watch what you are doing, it is possible to eat out the threads with your screw driver. Once it is out, replace with a standard hex head plug kit.

Sportways was started by Sam Lecocq in 1958. They have been out of business for many years. Sam is French and is retired living in Baha. A great guy, with many stories about the early days of scuba. I met him last year at the Portage quarry vintage weekend.

Captain & Rcontrera,

Thanks for the great information, sounds simple. I'll move forward and get the job done.

Again, thank you both.

JimU

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom