1,000 Ways to Die: Is Diving One of Them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How you die is irrelevent. How you live is what matters.

I've taken a few risks in my life ... and not just in sports. Some of those things were thrilling ... others were just stupid. Some were things I remember with pride ... others I've tried hard to forget. But all of them defined who I am, and how I chose to live.

I don't want to die in bed. I've watched my mom wasting away for nearly two years now ... and I gotta believe she's in hell, bound to a bed, unable to even get up to go to the bathroom. Please God, don't let me go out like that.

I don't think about dying when I prepare for a dive. I try my best to understand the risks, and prepare for dealing with them as best I can. I acknowledge that there's a chance that any dive could be fatal ... but it's far less than the risk I take every day I get on the highway and head to work. So I'm willing to take it.

Life's about risk ... and nobody gets out of it without dying. So why worry about it. I'll go for the gusto. Or as a friend likes to put it ... Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh sh!t, she's awake!"

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

as a friend likes to put it ... Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh sh!t, she's awake!"

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Which is especially impressive if you're shaking up Satan so bad that he forgets whether you're male or female. :rofl3:

Which is especially impressive if you're shaking up Satan so bad that he forgets whether you're male or female. :rofl3:

... my friend (who I quoted) is a she ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Trace, your post makes me think of what I've placed in the inside cover of my log book.

Walter, you inspired me. Here's what I think I'll write in my wet notes below the medical info:

If I died diving, I either made a mistake ... or I didn't.

Walter, you inspired me. Here's what I think I'll write in my wet notes below the medical info:

If I died diving, I either made a mistake ... or I didn't.

That reminds me of what is written on Spike Milligan's gravestone in Gaelic "I told you I was ill" (Dúirt mé leat go raibh mé breoite) :D

Living is hazardous to your health!
Everything I like is either illegal, immoral, fattening or causes cancer.
Did you know that you begin to die from the day that you are born?

"Life begins at point A and ends at point B, Kick maximum ass!"

TED NUGENT

TsandM, the frontal lobe of the brain, the one responsible for risky behaviors isnt mature until the age of 25 and for others a bit later. Most of the car accidents (done all over the world) caused by increased speed are done by dudes betwen 18-25y old and this is one example of why people between 18-25y old are able to do risky stuff easily

Interesting. I remember that when I was in that age group I thought much more about risk and death than I do now. Heck, I was afraid of high speed, motorcycles, great whites, flying in aircraft, lightning, etc. I dove far more conservatively back then (probably never exceeding 100 ft as I remember).

Today, I no longer fear many of those things (at least not the more irrational ones). I still don't ride motorcycles or drive at high speed (neither my 23-year old Toyota Tercel or my golf cart can achieve them)... and (after two near misses) I still look for cover during lightning storms. However, I no longer have my irrational fear of great whites nor of what some would consider "risky" diving. Knowing that my time may be drawing to a close has allowed me to live my remaining years with a bit more zest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom