1,000 Ways to Die: Is Diving One of Them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, you're right, I'm not looking for this to happen any time soon. I'll be 55 this year, and hope to make it to my 80's as my Dad has. However, at this age I see a lot of people I know checking out unpleasantly and would prefer that when my time does come, it's with my boots on.

Man is not perfect thus what we do is not perfect. Death is inevitable, how one dies is usually how one is remembered. The only noble death is giving ones life for another but even that is debatable when done foolishly. To be noble is how one lives there life not chooses there death. Bravado is the bane of camaraderie and safety, not the other way around. We criticize to build ourselves up, when we just need to check ones own memory to find what could have been our own finality.

As a community, scuba divers are one of the most safety-conscious of sportsman. In some ways this is good because we find creative ways to be safer even in the most extreme environments. Yet, at the same time this attention to safety can really take a toll on the camaraderie within the community because on this very board people are divided by being solo divers, DIR practitioners, vintage equipment divers, public safety divers, etc. People have strong opinions about how they dive and some have strong opinions as to how they believe others should dive too. When someone dies, the community analyzes the accident at best and crucifies those in error at worse. If it's a medical accident, it seems to be much more okay somehow that too many cheeseburgers and French fries took their toll on a dead diver than if that diver died due to pilot error. Yet, some would argue that eating poorly is just as much pilot error as failure to analyze gas or be properly trained for a dive We are all going to die someday. Is dying while diving okay? If so, what circumstances can you die heroically and with dignity underwater? If not, why? In what ways (other than diving-related) can a diver die with the dignity and support of the community? Why do we feel the need to place blame on something or someone? Why do we criticize those in our sport who are willing to take huge risks with their lives when the same sort of athletes in other sports are admired?

What is this "community" you posit? All deaths are equally meaningfull and meaningless ; but you know this.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom