08/06/2011 - Breakwater Barge and Metridium Fields

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The trick to lining up the daymark is to swim just a little further, note what's on the ridge above the buildings, swim back, and line that up with the daymark.

How much 'a little further', Chuck? I'm generally not all that happy being out that far on the surface if there's any boat traffic, and the authorities aren't all that thrilled by the idea either. We were doing a nav. class out there and back, and bouyed both ends of the barge with DSMBs so we could surface and get multiple lineups and bearings (you can bet we were hugging the lines from our SMBs all the way up, while maintaining 360 degree observation). While so engaged immediately surrounding our SMBs, the Monterey Fire boat came by and the skipper chewed out our instructor for having us all out there on the surface, despite the fact that the viz was great and we took turns keeping a sharp eye for moronic, drunk or just near-sighted boat traffic while the rest took bearings and lineups.

I don't know if they had any authority to do anything other than hassle us (I doubt it; if we'd all decided to swim to Japan, what could they do?), but our instructor took the path of least resistance and "yes-sir/no-sir'd" them until they left. I imagine they assume that anyone is clueless until proven otherwise, but they didn't seem all that interested in making that determination.

Guy

About 20' further. It's about the distance from the day mark to the waterline at the end of the breakwater.

Ok, thanks. I'll give it a try one of these times. Have you done the surface swim out and dropped on the back lineup (bathroom corner and end of fence) since the latter got bent several years back? I haven't.

Guy

Last time I swam to The Barge was for the California Beach Dive Photo Comp in 2009. In 2010 they
allowed boats. ;-) I think I used the daymark and the telephone pole and hotel. The one with the
bathrooms is useful to keep yourself on course kicking out on your back.

Last time I swam to The Barge was for the California Beach Dive Photo Comp in 2009. In 2010 they
allowed boats. ;-) I think I used the daymark and the telephone pole and hotel. The one with the

Chuck,

Did you swim the barge in singles or doubles?

Yeah, I generally try to minimize weaving by using a back range, and with a good one you only need a single good cross-range to drop on target. I guess I'll have to dig through my dive reports for that class and review the lineups and bearings we took. ISTR we had a couple that were easier to use than at least one you prefer, but I'll check them all out when I get there and decide.

Guy

Back
Top Bottom